End of the Line

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: End of the Line

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

That is the way of the world, Cross Country: your body decides for you what you can do or not do.
I played Racquetball until my back told me I couldn't do that any more. That caused me to spend more time backpacking, which I have done with a vengeance. I have plenty of pictures, so I will always have that. If the time comes that I can't backpack, I will just bike more until I can't do that any more either. Gotta keep fightn'.
Meanwhile, do what you can and enjoy what you have. Keep on postn'.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

To my friend riown. I still can camp and fish and plan to do so.

Old Ranger. I think we have a lot in common excluding one thing. No boat.

LMBSGV. I will do some car camping but my cc partner and wife, "saint" Diane is battling cancer and can't go which limits my opportunities.

kpeter. Last Sep I crossed Florence Lake on the ferry and was accompanied by my friend Gregg Kawczynski and 4 BPers, 3 over 80 and the other almost 80.

Wild Bill. "Take time to love the ones you love". You're sooo right.

Slo hiker. I'll be pulling for you everyday for a good surgery result. I really appreciate what you had to say.

Electra. makes me think of my trip to the Lyle fork of the Merced River below the (Electra) peak — and I do savor.

Rosabella. When I write stories I'll think of you.

dave54. Paddling with my 5 surgery shoulders is out but it was a nice idea. Thanks for the thought.

SSSdave. when my kids were small we did a lot of car camping. I had my summers free. I think we went to the place in the picture in our off road veh.

Rouge Photonic. I still play Senior Slo Pitch Softball 3 times a week. It's a great social sport and I'm really good at it. I still envy you.

gaintbrookie. It's really nice hearing (reading) from you again. The last time I heard from you I was recovering from surgery(s) and was absolutely miserable (more mentally than physically and I was in serious pain) and certainly not my self. You're the one that showed me HST. I always thought that you and I had a lot in common backpacking-wise (exploring — fishing). Thanks for everything.

Timberline. Thank you for the compliments and I agree with you, the mountains never (have to) leave us.

bheiser. I like insightful comments. Thanks for yours.

sparky. I had a plan from the beginning to appreciate each and every day in the wilderness. I did, and it's probably why I remember so much.

nd woods. If I had 2 horses I think I'd try to spent lots of time on high sierra trails.

larreeO. I will continue to post because you and others appreciate our common interest.

windnot. Thanks for the sentiment and I do appreciate my memories and enjoy sharing them.

Drive Fly. Thanks for your thoughtful insight.

Doyle W Donehoo. I went on a bike ride yesterday and loved it.

Wandering Datsy
balzacom

In conclusion I must say that I have for years enjoyed the posts from each and every one of the people I mentioned and some others too. REALLY - each and every one of you.
Remember this: We ARE the good guys (and women too).
Thank you.

PS: Now lets all go forward.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Tom

No boat either. My contingency plan.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Dammit, Tom. That reads like an obit! You're not dead yet! :) Hopefully, you're still doing the pack in thing this July. If not, Just about everywhere will be open and there are lots of places (you know) to go.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I didn't mean it anything like that. I just truly appreciated all the great insightful responses and wanted to acknowledge each person.
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

My heartfelt sympathies to you. I have given some thought to the day when I will hang up my hiking boots, and on more than one occasion while struggling to climb a pass I've thought to myself "I'm too old for this."

Hiking in the Sierra has given you the wisdom to be philosophical about the day we all face sooner or later. I hope I am as wise as you when my day comes.