End of the Line

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: End of the Line

Post by SSSdave »

50 years from now none of us will be backpacking. We are all mortal and not only will our backpacking days end, so will our fleshly existance. Sooner or later all our numbers sadly come up. I'm not far behind you Cross Country and at least to this point given my current condition and near life long healthy lifestyle, hope to backpack well into my 70s.

What you can do is visit the many worthwhile near road side areas of the outdoors. A good start today would be to buy the Benchmark Maps, "California Road and Recreeation Atlas" and exploring its pages. There is actually much more available here in California than common people are aware of if one explores the back roads. And I'm not talking about high wheel base 4wd but rather just low end SUV vehicles with 4wd. One can find wonderful places that are natural and unspoiled. For instance along the Eastern Sierra stagebrush zones there are many such roads where one can drive out a mile or three, park, set up camp, and enjoy nature. However don't expect to do so at the same times of summer one used to visit the high country. Instead those areas have their spring often in May when much is still green and small streams still flowing. And in our Southland deserts are myriad such roads though again the time of year is early often between February and April. But what about the wonderful high country? Few roads route into those areas, and the ones that do are often crawling with people. Well like I said in 50 years none of us are going to be backpacking so all good things eventually come to an end and we must move on. But that doesn't mean that while we are still flesh and blood, one might drive up occasionally to where one can easily reach and just be glad for those experiences we were blessed to experience when we could.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Gallery_B/11-K2-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
one can drive up to this area above any July
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well you've done more in the Sierra then 99% of the whole world population so at least you can feel good in what you have done. Hopefully you can now find another activity that can keep you happy.

Hopefully my end of the backpacking line will be the same one as my life.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Sorry to hear about your retirement from backpacking. You had a heck of a good run, but, I think the better it was the more one misses it. This hits close to home for many of us and makes us appreciate the time we spend up there all the more. There are still many ways to enjoy the Sierra without backpacking and I suspect you will. All those trips gives on an inside edge to find the road-accessed spots that are very nice and yet fly beneath the radar.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Well, XC, since I'm in the same boat now too, like so many others here I just want to extend congratulations on what you have accomplished over the years. We who have been blessed with repeated opportunities to visit and explore the Sierra possess something special from those experiences. Being able to share that with others through personal memories and stories is our privilege and legacy, and I hope to read a lot more from you here about the times and places you considered special. As demanding as backpacking can be on one's body, and it is even when you're in good shape, I always cherished the ability to get out there and explore, trail or no trail. I felt the most alive when I was in the high country. My "end of the line" manifested via osteoarthritis, and I have to admit I still feel a little unhappy about having to accept what that meant to my adventuring. Nevertheless, I applaud you for laying it out just the way it is for you now, with honesty and grace. We may have to leave the mountains, but the mountains never have to leave us. High five, and carry on! =;
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

Threads like this really make one think - about their own mortality & limitations - about whether we're doing everything we could be while we can - and about life's priorities, or how we define them. CrossCountry, thanks for sharing your story.

I'll bet this is a tough juncture for you. But as others have pointed out, and as you know anyway, there are other ways to experience a near-backcountry experience without backpacking. In particular I'd second what SSSDave described - using a 4x4 can get you to some pretty great places. And if one is careful, and uses camping techniques similar to those used while backpacking, the experience can be similar.

Again, this is good food for thought, thanks for sharing.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Even more reason for us to appreciate everything we experience out there. Fortunately you have been there and done that so to speak. Its just funny how hard it is to appreciate things when you have them.

Cheers buddy, there still plenty of things to be excited about, every moment and every day is truly a miracle.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Well, I hope you continue to read and post here....your experience is invaluable to us. And I wish you other great journeys to come! I personally have been grounded from the high mtns for a year or so for circumstances beyond my control....just temporary though, I'll be hiking again soon. But...I have fun riding my 2 lovely horses into the local state park by my house. Not quite the same....but salves the wound just fine!:) Hope you find something like that and keep going!:)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
larree0
Topix Acquainted

Post by larree0 »

Cross Country- Yes, please continue to post, as you know, fisher folks pay $200-300 + tips for their guide's knowledge. My back is making BP-ing more and more difficult but, TESTIMONIAL: A light- weight pontoon boat has changed my life! OK, enough soap box; thank you for sharing a topic that we all face at some point.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Sorry to hear you'll be hanging up the spikes, but congratulations on a lifetime of quality trips. Others have already said it, but you've spent more time backpacking than a lot of us ever will, and you still have the experiences and memories to show for it.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I often think about that day even though I'm only 39 years old. I have enjoyed reading your posts and like others have said, hope that you continue your invaluable contribution to this site. Your knowledge has been both entertaining and educational and I certainly relate to your passion and enthusiasm for the sierra nevada mountains. May you still enjoy this special place by living vicariously through those who are continuing their adventures. I hope that you can find ways to still enjoy the beauty and magic of this remarkable place.

ladd