Evolution Valley - anyone been recently?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tory8411
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Evolution Valley - anyone been recently?

Post by tory8411 »

Has anyone been on the South Lake to North Lake trail in the last week or so to report on trail conditions? I am going the 26th thru 29th and trying to get an idea of what I can leave at home. I've heard that there is still quite a bit of snow on the passes and some of the trails are under water. Thanks for all of your input. I hope to add value someday myself.
mr.kurt
Topix Acquainted

Post by mr.kurt »

I've been a bit curious myself. This is all that I could find so far...

http://www.nps.gov/seki/trailcdt.htm

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Evolution Valley Basin - 07/03/06: Snow free from the Piute bridge to Evolution Lake.Evolution Creek is extremely high. Suggest crossing in the meadow, however it may not be possible.

Muir Pass -07/10/06: One and half miles of snow on the south side of the pass to below Wanda LAke on the north side.

LeConte Canyon/Dusy Basin/Palisades Creek - 06/27/06: Mostly snow covered above 11,000 feet. The second Dusy Creek crossing is hazardous.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes!
-Kurt
LarBear
Topix Novice

Post by LarBear »

When you go follow teh advice and cross at teh meadow. It is to teh right when you get to the steram crossing. Evolution Creek is a a miserable rock covered uneven criossing. Follow teh use trail for aroubnd 1/2 mile until you can look across teh creek and see evolution emadow and cross there. The JMT is straight ahead. An easy crossing.
tory8411
Topix Acquainted

Thanks

Post by tory8411 »

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help. I know a lot can change in 10 days, but I am trying to be prepared the best I can. Please keep them coming up until the 24th. When I get back, I hope my info will be able to help someone.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Yes, please update us when you get back! I'll be in that area the second week of august.
Steve Bearman
Topix Acquainted

Post by Steve Bearman »

I was just near that area. Here is a picture of the Glacier Ridge area from the top of Mt. Humphreys on July 6th. The approximate location of the Paiute Pass Trail is in red. There was an absurd amount of snow for the time of year.

That said, the snow is melting very fast. Here are side by side pictures of the Pine Creek Pass / Honeymoon Lake trail junction sign take on June 30th and July 5th.

So, I would expect most of the snow to be melted by the time you are in the area and creeks at about the usual level of early-mid June (pretty high, but not at their worst).

Hope this helps.
-- Steve
tory8411
Topix Acquainted

Post by tory8411 »

Thanks Steve, that helps a lot. Two of my friends going with me just did Alta Peak on a day hike yesterday and said it was hot all the way to the top. He could hardly see any snow across the whole divide, I gotta believe this heat is drying most of what is left up except for the highest north faces. He did say all manner of bugs to include mosquitos were encountered the entire way up to the peak. He said he had never seen so many bugs so high up without any water or vegetation. And he gets around.
T