Any info on Harrison Pass??

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Any info on Harrison Pass??

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Secor says trail that shows on Topo is not there anymore, not a big deal, but the North side sounds kinda iffy- maybe rethinking bringing the crampons...I will be going down the North side, just wondering if anyone's done it and your opinion. Thanks!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

There certainly isn't a trail and even if there was the steep, north-facing side would probably have a pretty steep snowslope below it as of now. I have not crossed Harrison, but went over the KK Divide via Lucy's Foot Pass in the fall of 1994. The first part of the route coming out of East Creek is common to any of three routes going over the divide (Lucy's, Ericsson, Harrison) and there certainly wasn't much of a trail even lower down. I can't speak for either Ericsson or Harrison, but from what I hear they both have some of the characteristics of Lucy's Foot, which is very steep north sides with steep, loose talus. With lots of snow on it, as you would get right now, the unpleasant steep talus is covered, but then you get steep snow. Secor makes some comments about xc ski routes over the KK divide and this might give you an indication of which of the routes will be the easiest with snow on it. I seem to recall that Secor seems to say the least negative things about Ericsson (both in the snow-covered and bare rock modes), which I recall is sort of a variation on the Harrison theme. I don't have my topo map or my Secor with me right now, so I'm just going off memory there.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

giantbrookie- Thanks very much for your input . The darn snow and water levels are getting in the way of my trip. I've changed the route several times and I am leaving tomorrow. At least the pack is ready, I just need somewhere to take it for 9 days. arrrggghhhh. Any suggestions for a good loop 60 -70 miles or less from the east side??
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

I don't have much info about the passes - I've only really seen them from the south and hiked up the East Creek drainage but not to the passes. However getting to the passes may be a problem because of the Bubbs Creek crossing. I'm just guessing here but it may be difficult to cross right now. When I was there several years ago there was a meadow about 1/4-1/2 a mile downstream of the actual trail where the creek was much easier to cross - and probably even easier in the morning, but that also added on 1/4-1/2 mile of nasty bushwacking.
Wherever you go, have fun :)
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Thanks trailblazer! I will have fun, no doubt. :D Wingding was kind enough to offer a shuttle , so I might take her up on it, or we'll bring 2 vehicles ourselves. Thinking maybe I'll just go in at KP and out at Cottonwood and get some peaks along the way, ( thanks again Wing) or I'll figure out something else. I just gotta calm down and look at my maps.... thanks everybody! I hope I can return the helpfulness!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

TT.....I do not know if this will help much..but just in case. I posted a question over at Summitpost awhile back asking about Harrison Pass...I did get a few responses. Here is the link to the post at the bottom of this message...hope it works okay.

I was at Lake South America in 2001, and we looked up the South side of Harrison Pass from there & it looked okay kinda just a long sand slog it looked like to us & a pretty easy gradual climb up. But I have heard too that the North side is harder then the South.
You have a wonderful adventure out there..Anywhere you go is going to be beautiful. :nod:
Take care
Anita
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... rison+pass
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Aerial photos of the Sierra taken July 10th

http://www.ncffb.org/index.cgi?read=349161

Good luck on your trip, whatever you do!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Thanks MiT and SN! Don't want to lug crampons and ice axe so not going over Harrison this time. I'll try KP to Cottonwood and hope that Forester is not TOO bad. If it's later in the day, the snow might be soft enough. If not I'll re route and go explore. There are plenty of bail out trails on the way south, so I'm not gonna worry. I heard Old Army was axe and crampons too, always have New Army to go down. Who knows my plans may change again at the last minute!!! Thanks again!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I've been over both Harrison Pass and Lucy's Foot. Lucy's Foot is a relative nightmare because of all the loose talus (Lucy must have been one tough cookie!). A very large boulder came loose on me, and I almost went for a bone-breaking spill.

Harrison, on the other hand, is a complete breeze!

Lucy's Foot made for a nicer backpack though, because one could explore the lakes near the great western divide, on the way to the south side of the pass. By contrast, the route from the north side of Harrison towards Mt. Brewer is rather unexciting forest.

When I went over, Harrison was only partly full of snow. It might be tough covered with a layer of ice -- what wouldn't?
wingding

Post by wingding »

Trailtrekker - I do believe I saw you kick steps over a very large snowfield on Shepherd Pass last July 1st without crampons - so I doubt you'll have problems with Forester. Thanks again for kicking those steps on Shepherd - made my trip up to the pass behind you a lot easier.