a backpacking washing machine?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: a backpacking washing machine?

Post by maverick »

Wow, people wash clothes in the backcountry? :D Perks of going solo. :unibrow:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

you never know who you might meet and it keeps you feeling fresh. Not everyday, mind you. sometimes it as simple as just jumping in a lake; moving around and then changing into the secondaries.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:
you never know who you might meet
Like?

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

no one special, but you don't wanna stink when you do..

The Japanese tourists on Rafferty in late Sept '08 were a kick. All I understood was "how far to Vogelsang?" I wasn't sure if i should answer in miles or km's. We met them 3 miles out. She was in inappropriate foot gear. So, 4 miles to Vogelsang as we came from Evelyn off-trail.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:
She was in inappropriate foot gear.
Oh, you mean like high heels on the way back to Mirror Lake inappropriate. :rolleyes:

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

seriously.. she was in semi-highs.. i don't even know what that might mean but it was way wrong.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

A good rinse and some air time works for me. My shirts stink fresh out the washer so....lol

I have met solo female hikers twice, my stench was the last thing on my mind.

Its more when i come back to civilization that i become self aware
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

met a group of college women in '06 on the way out of Evelyn. 20 of them. It's not where you want to stink.. same darned place as the Japanese couple. Rods strapped to the backpack.. they asked, "did you fish?" answer: yes. I love who one meets on the trails.. always something new. Had some really nice Gouda and single malt last year near Puppet; after I made them quench their fire.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I wouldn't mind figuring out an even better way to do my laundry out there then what I already do. If this thing really worked well it would be worth it to me.

Once the rest of you have spent 3 months hiking with the same clothes you will appreciate why I do laundry every other day out there.

Although a did meet a girl who seemed to be a bit proud that she went 35 days backpacking in Colorado without bathing once.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I wash daily. I do enjoy super cold water though, so its for fun and for getting clean. I just use mud or sand....same with dishes.