Laurel Creek Drainage

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Laurel Creek Drainage

Post by sparky »

This is off trail, lots of things can go wrong if you aren't experienced using topo maps and cross country travel.

HST Map

looks beautiful though, I would like to visit someday
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Bdandy,

Welcome to HST!
Laurel Creek has a trail, and can be access from the Mosquito Flat Trailhead viaMono Pass down the Mono Creek Trail to the Laurel Creek Trail then up to Laurel Lake which is about 14.8 miles one way. No need to go cross country, plenty to see and do on trail. The alternative route is to take the fairy across Lake Thomas Edison, take the Mono Creek Trail up to Laurel Creek Trail to Laurel Lake which is 10.8 miles from the dock. Mott Lake would be 7.1 miles from the dock.
The Laurel Lake area is very pretty, but Grinnell Lake is close by and is one of the gems of the central Sierra which should be on your itinerary too. The drive to Edison would take longer, but your hike in would be shorter mileage
and elevation (effort) wise. Mosquito Flat is at 10200, Mono pass is 12000, and the Laurel Creek Junction is at 8800.
Dock at the lake is at 7680, so that is a 1120 ft climb to the Laurel Creek Junction but your climb up to Mono from Mosquito is 1800 ft, and going back out its all down hill to the dock as opposed to a 3200 ft climb back up to Mono Pass.
There are several areas like Pioneer Basin (good fishing), Hopkins Lake, and 4th Recess Lake which are all quite beautiful and could be included into your trip when coming in from Mosquito Flat.
You also have beautiful Little Lakes Valley right near Mosquito Flats to spend a night at if need be.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bdandy
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by bdandy »

Thank you so much! That was very informative. This will only be my second time backpacking so I am currently investigating intermediate trails!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Little Lakes Valley and 20 Lakes Basin both are great places for beginners with fantastic scenery, good fishing, and you can reach a lake within 30 min's with minimal elevation gain (less than a couple of 100 ft in 20 LB, and less than that in LLV).
Click on the first photo, then click on it again to get the largest size.
Here are a few shots of Little Lakes Valley. http://WildernessApertures.com/p1003266800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Those pictures are fantastic too by the way. I really enjoyed them, thank you.

And yes listen to maverick. Pick up a Mono Divide High Country Trail map from Tom Harrison Maps. Good quality maps.

Enjoy :D
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Mountainlight, dude, these are awesome! I love the one of the snowy ponds! Great job