May 20 eclipse details

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

May 20 eclipse details

Post by tim »

Here's a great map showing where to see the May 20 eclipse:
http://www.nature.nps.gov/features/ecli ... lletin.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The full annular eclipse will be visible from the Tahoe Basin and the Northern Sierra.
Its the first annular or total eclipse in the US since 1994.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: May 20 eclipse details

Post by TahoeJeff »

Thanks for the heads up on that, I will catch it for sure!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

On a Sunday which is perfect. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

And on my birthday, which is perfect.
Where does one find solar viewing glasses?
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

Thanks for posting this.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Hi All,

That day has been in my calender for months, all I know is I want to be somewhere high and clear. Top of Baldy,San Gorgonio or San Jacinto here in so cal, or Langley out of Lone Pine, I will play it by ear because of the smog or cloud coverage. Who else is going that weekend and where?

quentinc, I'm going to buy some arc welding lens from a welding shop, their about 2x5" black lens or a piece of safety glass (the replaceable ones) for arc welding.

Don
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

quentinc wrote:Where does one find solar viewing glasses?
This is where I got mine from:
http://www.rainbowsymphonystore.com/eclipseshades.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheap but there is a minimum order of 25 so hand them out to your friends! They also have filters for cameras and cheap telescopes.
It took about a week to get them by standard delivery (SoCal Is probably quicker) so don't leave it too late.

By the way the transit of Venus on the afternoon of June 5 will also be worth looking out for (though in that case you'll need a telescope). See it now or wait until 2117!
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

bluefintu wrote:Who else is going that weekend and where?
I'm going to Lassen. Now if they just get the road open maybe I can watch it from the top! But more realistically I think Hat Creek Rim is the best option.
I'm hoping to see some great photos from the desert southwest especially Bryce Canyon etc
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Hey Tim,

Mt Lassen will be better than Bryce Canyon. It's supposed to better viewing further north. I would love to be in the Tahoe area. Hat Creek Rim, I don't know where that is.
Don
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Hat Creek Rim is just north of Lassen on the PCT. Its famous as the 25 mile stretch with no water, but more importantly you can drive up to the viewpoint on top of the ridge and then you have a completely open view to the west.

Tahoe would be good too, particularly on the NE side near Mt Rose