The Sierra's Best Campsites

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The Sierra's Best Campsites

Post by rlown »

granite is a good start. 8k to 12k another clue. :D hate to say it but, duh. we all go where we go for our own reasons. nice post, AT
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Wandering Daisy wrote:The whole idea of "best campsites" is bogus. What each of us deems as "best" differs.
Ummm...isn't that what makes the discussion interesting?

Not bogus at all, IMO. YMMV.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

no, it's pretty bogus. again, why would I say "camp here." it is what it is when you get there and there is subjective.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

A better topic would be "good campsites in surprising places" (or surprisingly close places). And I must have been confusing in the description of mine -- it's in the general area east of Big Whitney Meadow/Siberian Basin, not further north as people have been guessing.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

And my problem, is that each trip I find a "best campsite" so where would I begin....:)
Also, noone likes what I like. I rarely camp by lakes....I much prefer the views and breezes (to ward off skeeters) of high plateaus and passes. My honey and I even carry a collapsible water container just so we can camp high and dry and thus by ourselves!
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Access to water, a breeze to keep away mosquitoes, a stunning view, and a flat pad of well draining decomposed granite broad enough for a tent, but with no impact on vegetation. Afternoon shade and plenty of flat granite shelves for gear and cooking would be a plus. I like to be within earshot of running water, personally. If I'm on a "luxury" trip then a flat topped eight foot tall rock in full sun to put my sunshower on would be perfect, but the rock has to be a long way from water to avoid run-off.

Now, how often have I found all of those in one place? Hmmm. Probably never have I had 100% of these things in one place, but looking for the ideal spot is part of the adventure. I do remember a campsite not far from the outlet at Lake Reflection that came pretty close.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Add great fishing and solitude, and you have most of the criteria on our list...

We do like a large sunlit granite slab in the morning, to dry out any condensation on the ground sheet....and as a warm evening lounge chair for watching the stars
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I agree with WD’s first paragraph in her post.

One aspect not particularly mentioned is that a great campsite one day/night might not be so great another day/night. The weather is one obvious factor. Solitude is a huge factor in how I feel about a campsite. How far off trail only makes solitude more likely, not a given. Even trailed campsites at a relatively popular lake can be fabulous. My son’s second backpacking trip at age 3 was to May Lake in September. We had the entire lake to ourselves. The three of us spent two nights at Joe Crane Lake in the Minarets 3 years later. We didn’t see another person the entire time. The second night was a total lunar eclipse - one of the most memorable nights I’ve ever spent. I suspect from the size of the campsite, it is often overpopulated with packer parties. I once had McClure Meadow in Evolution Valley entirely to myself in August - no other campers, lights, or fires in sight; it felt like the 19th century. Conversely, well off trail in the Upper Kern, I had a party of eight people arrive, camp nearby, make a lot of noise (8 people can’t be quiet) and build a large (illegal) fire. I could go on and on with other examples of both extremes. In the end, it seems that no amount of planning can predict what one encounters and we should make the best of wherever and whatever happens.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com