Enchanted Pools, Umpa, Twin & Island Lakes, Desolation W

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Enchanted Pools, Umpa, Twin & Island Lakes, Desolation W

Post by madeintahoe »

Yesterday I did a day loop hike into a beautiful area of Desolation Wilderness. We started at the Twin Lakes TH, hiked up to the Enchanted Pools, from there cross country to Umpa Lake, then up to Twin Lakes and then Island Lake. We hiked back out on the Twin Lakes Trail. There is water on some parts of the trail & crossing over at Twin Lakes at the dam is still pretty high...so we walked down the outlet and found a shallow place to cross over.

I have never seen so much water coming out of Twin Lakes..It is so beautiful up there right now. Still some snow left higher up.
http://community.webshots.com/album/552193629FpxEKA
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Nice shots Madeintahoe. Thanks for sharing. Enchanted pool with the waterfalls looks like an awesome place to visit.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

MiT, Those flowers are beautiful! I've only seen the desert five spot, which is different from yours. And I've never seen the lily. And my favorite color is purple too. The Mountain Pride against the water and snow and rocks are cool too! For some reason, I didn't take any photos of those on my last trip.

The multiple waterfalls and pools are "enchanting"! Looks like a beautiful area! If I ever get up there, I'll do Pyramid with you.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

Very Nice!!! :nod: Thanks.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you!
Piece of cake.
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Fantastic! I grew up hiking and backpacking to Twin Lakes and have been there gazeeeellions of times and I have fond memories there. In fact my very first backpacking trip was to Twin Lakes and I fell in love with backpacking. Now when I go through there it's usually as I make my way on beyond Island lake and cross the ridge and drop down to Clyde Lake. I spent the day canoeing and fishing Wright's Lake a couple Sunday's ago... the Crystal Range rocks!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Thank you everyone so much! This part of the Sierra is a bit different from the Southern areas, I feel very fortunate to have it right out my back door. Trailblazer you are right the Enchanted Pools are awesome...quite a beautiful place to visit, very peaceful

SN, that Desert Five Spot in this area is pretty cool..wish I had gotten a better picture to show the tiny little specks a bit better the flower has in it. Yes, that would be so nice to do Pyramid together, I think you would love the area & the peak looks to be a pretty nice scramble to the summit. Those Mountain pride are amazing, never have seen them so vivid

Buck that sounds like a cool trek going over from Island to Clyde...how neat Twin was your 1st backpacking trip. This small basin that Twin and Island Lakes sits in is my favorite in this area...I think it's very beautiful. Twin Lakes holds a special place for me too..I did my 1st solo BP trip there in 2004. That must have been nice canoeing in Wrights..that lake always has sparkles on it it seems. I never get tired of going to this area :)
will_jrob
Topix Acquainted

Post by will_jrob »

Nice photos of a terrific area. Overnighted at Island Lake last year, wonderful reflected alpenglow.
mikehike
Topix Regular

Post by mikehike »

Where is the tein lakes trailhead, we have a little place at tahoe and love Desolation wilderness

this is our cabin
http://www.vrentlist.com
wingding

Post by wingding »

Madeintahoe: great flower photos! Island Lake is really beautiful - I need to get up that way.