Snow conditions above 9k and this heat wave

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Snow conditions above 9k and this heat wave

Post by DAVELA »

Was hoping to do some winter camping up the north fork/palisades after last weeks snow but now with this heat wave i dunno.
Anybody have an idea what snow conditions will be like this weekend.Its gonna be 90 this weekend.Gross. :eek:
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Snow conditions above 9k and this heat wave

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Looks like some flooding may take place with all the fresh snow and the major heat. It's supposed to be 99 here in Bakersfield.
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted

Post by Wild Bill »

I'm a few miles north of that area, but Crowley Lake environ is dry up to 9,000'. It's patchy/solid snow above that. "Spring conditions" prevail; i.e. soft snow during the day. Seems to me it's melting fast.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Its worth keeping an eye on the peak snowmelt forecast: http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/awipsProducts/RNOHFSSPK.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently they are predicting peak snowmelt/river flow around May 1. For reference I think last year the peak snowmelt was mid June, while in 2010 it was around Memorial Day weekend. I guess bug season is going to start pretty early, especially with the coming hot weather.

Also there's a report on the Whitney Portal site that Horseshoe Meadows, Onion Valley & Whitney Portal roads will all open officially on April 27 (though the latter two are apparently unofficially open already). For Horseshoe Meadows that's also about 6 weeks earlier than last year.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

So is it going to be a slush fest this weekend up there?
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted

Post by Wild Bill »

I sure wouldn't count on building an igloo! :nod:
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Onion Valley is officially open; cones and road closed sign are gone. 89 is also now open, and the Tioga Pass is reported snow free from Lee Vining to the Yosemite entrance, closed beyond.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

tim wrote:I
Also there's a report on the Whitney Portal site that Horseshoe Meadows, Onion Valley & Whitney Portal roads will all open officially on April 27 (though the latter two are apparently unofficially open already). For Horseshoe Meadows that's also about 6 weeks earlier than last year.
That's incredible. Last year I think Horseshoe opened on June 16 or 17, so it's even more than 6 weeks. Now I'm really tempted to head up there next weekend.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for the weather updates! I have permits to head to Miter Basin out of Horseshoe Meadows in late May and It looks like NAP will be passable by then.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Is it time to start up the Skeeter Report (with the scale explanation) yet? :D
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;