Favorite Topo Map Software?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Favorite Topo Map Software?

Post by schmalz »

I apologize if this has already been covered, I was unable to find an old thread that talked about this.

What is everyone's favorite Topo Map software, and what about it do you like?

I'm interested in finally getting a good setup to view maps and create trip plans on my PC. I already have almost every tom harrison map of the Sierra, and I'd like to be able to easily view the whole area on my PC. I know there are some free options for that, such as the HST map on this site.

The reason why I'd be willing to pay is that I also would like the ability to mark trips on the map and be giving a mileage and elevation chart. It'd also be cool for me to create screenshots that showed my route through a specific area.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Re: Favorite Topo Map Software?

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well I have only tried one myself and that is Mapsource. I use the 24K West maps or sometimes the National Park 24K maps. I prefer the 24K West because it's easier to see.

It does more or less everything I want but my biggest complaint is that a great deal of map markers aren't in the right spot. Simple things like a marker for a creek's name will be a hundred yards or more from where it actually is.

I'm not sure what it costs because I got mine through ways that shall remain unspoken. [-X
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I like acmemapper. but have also used closed contour...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I'm not one of the tech guys by a long shot but my NG TOPO does everthing I need or want. Actually it is capable of much more than I will ever understand.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Same as Gary C for the home Mac. The big let down for me is the print job. I print onto a water resistant paper so the ink is fixed, but the resolution compared to an original topo is missing. I blame the cheap printer, but I guess it could be the software as well.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I assumed NatGeo was the standard, but I was curious if anyone preferred their competitors for any specific reason.

A follow up question: It seems like there are a lot of trails missing on my Tom Harrison maps. These would often fall under the category of "use trails". I'd love to have a resource that allowed me more knowledge of where these trails were so that I could easily delineate which areas required true cross country travel. Does anyone have a recommended source for finding the less common trails, or is a specific topo map software better at including those on the map?

Thanks again!
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eiprahs
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by Eiprahs »

I have NatGeo but use Acmemapper almost exclusively. Acmemapper allows you to toggle between different data sets--topo map or satellite for example. So you can spot what looks like a useable pass on the topo, then toggle to satellite and see whats on the ground. Resolution on the satellite imagery is good enough that use trails may be visible at highest zoom. Unfortunately, the current satellite data for the high Sierras is from 2011, so snow obscures the fine detail.

You can save the satellite or topo images as jpgs and draw your routes, add text, etc. in another program like photoshop.
Dave
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I think that the quality of printer and even more importantly the size of paper makes a big difference in quality of maps. It's pretty hard to get a quality map if you have to shrink it down to 8.5X11 (even smaller with a boarder). Sometimes I will print one at work on a better copier than I have at home and on 11X17 paper. The results are a much more useable map.

Another thing to consider is if you have or plan on getting a GPS unit. I use my NG TOPO to make maps but have another program (Garmin) to use with my GPS. My Garman program is capable of showing a Google Maps satelite picture of any map I have opened up. I've had my software for a few years and there has been a lot of progress made. If I were going to buy it all again now I would look closely at the Delorme GPS units and there software. They are SPOT and message campatable.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I doubt you will find any maps that have use trails on them since that's all they are. You can find old maps with trails that are no longer maintained and are mostly gone.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

National Geographic's version of topo software is not very good, at least my version, which is less than two years old and compatible with Windows Vista and Windows 7. It does not compare in quality to the Wildflower Productions version which preceded it. In particular, it seems to lack the 15 minute view and the print quality is very poor compared to the Wildflower Productions version. When I want to print a detailed 7.5 minute map, I use an old Windows XP PC, which is compatible with the TOPO! product from Wildflower Productions. These maps are essentially scans of old U.S. Geological Survey Maps; any errors on those maps are reproduced here, not (generally) corrected.

For me, the easiest software to use in terms of scouting out routes is the web-based Acme Mapper -- it is superb and offers topographic, satellite, terrain, and general map views of places throughout the globe. Want to take a trip to Paris from your desktop -- just go to Acme Mapper!

Mike