snow/creek levels Pine Creek/ Italy lake / Seven Gables area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

snow/creek levels Pine Creek/ Italy lake / Seven Gables area

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Anybody have any recent info on this area as far as snow and water levels? I am probably going to change my 9 day trip to somewhere out of Kearsarge instead of going up Pine Creek Rd, but would hate to give it up if everything is passable. Not really a snow/ice person, but willing to trudge through some stuff considering the beauty of the area. Thanks for any data.
burtonfm
Topix Acquainted

Post by burtonfm »

I happen to call two Inyo ranger stations this morning, but neither had any solid information on water levels out of Pine Creek. I was asking because I have a trip planned for this weekend up Pine Creek, but I'll likely go elsewhere as rumors have the little log bridge over Pine Creek -just downstream from Pine Lake - under water. Hard to believe. I'm going to day hike up there later next week to check it out for myself.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just change plans but I can't really complain, I'm getting out somewhere after all...guess Seven Gables will have to wait 'til next year. If anyone does have more info, I'd still like to know. Thanks!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

We did Seven Gables from the west in 4 days. It was an easy hike in. http://community.webshots.com/album/184720949EdvtaO

And the crossing by Upper Pine Lake was flooded last year when we tried. I posted on another thread about that.

Looking North at the Upper Pine Lake crossing, where you normally cross from boulder to boulder: http://community.webshots.com/photo/399 ... 7782XgPqPe
The large boulders were under water.

It was deep and the water was moving fast. We hiked down to lower Pine on the south side, then part way up (the only flat spot we could find to camp). In the morning we found a loose log crossing which was not fun. http://community.webshots.com/photo/405 ... 7782UMFIpW

We came back in Sept to do the trip. Here you can see the boulders. SnowDude is standing on the other side, which is where we would have waded to if we were able to cross: http://community.webshots.com/photo/467 ... 6560gKXNNE
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Thanks SN. I am assuming this year has more snow/water up there, ya think? I really wanted to go this Sat-next Sat. or Sun and do a big loop, part XC, part trail, but I'm getting chicken now.
wingding

Post by wingding »

How about Cottonwood Pass/Miter Basin instead? This chicken is headed that way on Saturday. Well, actually not camping in Miter Basin - camping at Soldier Lake and then going to try to day hike to Joe Devel and Pickering.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Kathy- Think I'm going to try Kearsarge (have permit) into Center Basin, up to University (the easy way this time!) and then out and down to Forester to Lake South America and over Harrison Pass and down to East Lake with a couple of side trips depending on time. It's been 2 years since I've done anything over 5 days- I forgot how much darn food weighs!! I'm still toying with both original plans, (Pine Creek and) the other one out of Kearsarge goes out XC to Lake Reflection to South Guard Lake, up Brewer, down Brewer and around to Farquhar (from Sphinx Lakes area), that is where it looks like I might hit a wall- literally- crossing east towards East lake (after going over the col south of Farq.) and then out. It looks very steep (cliff like) on the Topo, and not knowing the terrain... I'd hate to have to back track. I looked at a possible out being North Guard Lake down to the Bubbs Creek trail, but I bet it would be serious bushwacking. **sigh** Usually I have everything planned perfectly, but maybe this will turn out to be better due to the adventure factor! Who knows? Get a week off and come with.... :D
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

oooh- maybe I could get Barnard with a day's side trip. hmmmmm. Caltech will be close, too.