A Strange Encounter

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: A Strange Encounter

Post by Jimr »

I think it's more important to not exacerbate this into an issue. George said it was no big deal and a pleasant conversation. Reminding us all that his opinions are his own and not that of NPS or any other official office seems like a satisfactory end to the discussion, lest it fester into something more. I don't think it unreasonable or "big Brother" ish of an organization to request this to be made clear considering a pending lawsuit and the public nature of the internet. Why would they not seek to assure that private opinions from those under their employ be clearly stated as an individuals opinion and not reflecting the position of the entity?

What I get from George is his annoyance that somebody may have been underhanded in their compiling and delivering his views to superiors instead of being straight forward with him personally. As stated above, it is very likely that his posts were stumbled upon from within.

Just sayin', sometimes, it's better to let a sleeping dog lie.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Balz your post implies that since it is public, that it is ok for a government agency to investigate what you say. This notion, to me, is against everything this country stands for. Perhaps that is not what you meant.

I see what you mean about someone with a personal interest vs. a focused investigation. I don't really see much of a difference, unless you mean to imply conspiracy.

IF you give an inch, they take a mile. Again it isn't about this particular case, but its about the implications of what is allowable. It is the air. It is ok for SEKI to hold this guy accountable for what he said. Its logged in the data base. Name rank and number.

I don't believe it is a conspiracy, more of just the way the winds are blowing.

Perhaps it doesn't apply to this particular case. That doesn't change the fact that our rights are being violated all over the place with no recourse. No accountability. From the Police officer on the street to all levels of government. Our rights take a back seat to the flavor of the week.
Last edited by sparky on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by gdurkee »

Woof. Yes. I really appreciate the support for me and the 1st amendment (and a general fear of creeping big brotherism), it really didn't rise to that. Just wanted to post a heads up myself, clearly restate my background and role when posting, and hope that anyone with a question or problem would contact me directly. Sleeping dogs for sure. But thanks for the thoughts!

But the ironing board photo. Egad! Mike is right. My physique just went to heck after buffing up for that. Actually, I now remember some of the order of battle. My last supervisor was the fitness coordinator for the park. She had hinted that, perhaps, I needed to buff up in preparation for a new fitness test required to keep my job. I sent her the photo to show I was ready (and a domestic love-god as well).

I hate it when a gnarly supervisor blushes (or giggles hysterically).
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

George, I like you new signature tag. I hope his Holiness has a sense of humor.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Sorry to ask the dumb questions, please bare with me....What is POTUS?
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Freestone wrote:
What is POTUS?
President of the United States :D
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Thanks Mav!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Chiming in a bit late on this one, but I do hope you continue to post George. You provide a view others dont have and I, as one of many, appreciate your posts on this site. Alot of us (myself included) rant off the cuff about various issues, and you have a way of relating all of the facts in the dicussion to the reality of trying to implement such ideas/issues on such a large scale with so many different stake holders. I know I am one of many that appreciate your views.

I do like your new tag line :unibrow: and thanks Freestone for asking what POTUS meant!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I agree that I value George's input. We may not always get along on some subjects but there are few with the amount of experience in the Sierra and knowing how these agencies operate as George.

I don't think the higher ups worrying what you say has anything to do with being big brother but it's just the tip toe mentality that these agencies have to do to keep people happy.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Hmm.. Well, I suppose stalking can be a form of flattery... :p
Maybe I should edit the terms and conditions of this site to include a statement like this:

"Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable. By accessing content of this site you also acknowledge that, unless expressly stated, views of the author of any post represent the views of that author only and do not represent the views and opinions of any organization or otherwise the author may represent."
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix