How is the Snow now?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

How is the Snow now?

Post by OzSwaggie »

Hello
I'm on the other side of Earth, looking forward to a trot along the JMT in August ... So far heard that there was incredibly little snow in the Sierra this year, then that there was a big dump of up to ten feet. Can anyone please provide further information?
Many thanks
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: How is the Snow now?

Post by balzaccom »

The snowpack is now about 50-60% of normal, depending on where you are.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Like Balzac said, about 60% right now. A little more to the north end and a little less on the south end of the Sierra. Below is a link to some web cams that can give you a glimpse of some current conditions. I like the Mineral King page for a good look at lower elevation (7000 to 8000') and the various ski area cams for the upper elevations. Good luck with your adventure. I was curious if your are the same couple that was looking for a ride on the VVR web page?

http://www.sierravisionsstock.com/sierr ... a-webcams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
mkbgdns
Topix Regular

Post by mkbgdns »

60% seems way high. Go to the California Department of Water Resources website, check their snow survey results. The April 1 figures for the drainages you'll cross vary from a high of 47% in the Merced to a low of 32% in the Kern. April 1 averages are the most reliable indications for August, since additional significant snowfall is vanishingly unlikely.
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by OzSwaggie »

Yes Troutdog, I was wondering if you were the same Troutdog that responded to my request for a lift on the VVR website :) Small cyberworld!
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by OzSwaggie »

Thanks for responses. I'm wondering how the thin snowpack might affect conditions in August. I think every year we have been to the Sierra it has been an above average year (especially last year in early July!) so it's hard to picture what it might mean. I guess there will be smaller/fewer snow patches on the JMT to walk across, streams will be lower and easier to cross ... but I wonder might we have any issues finding drinking water and have to carry more water along the trail... And what about mosquito numbers... :confused: Hmmm.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

Skeeters should be on the way out by August 1 (especially in a drier than normal year like this one). You shouldn't have any trouble finding water sources along the JMT in August.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Back in 2009 I was at 1000 Island Lake on August 1st with no mosquitoes at all. Same at Cathedral Lake 2 days later so I am remaining hopeful about them being gone even earlier this year.
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by OzSwaggie »

Hmm that all sounds good! - now just have to wait and see about all these poor blown down trees, what a shame!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Oz...

Not a shame. Just what mother nature does. The history and prehistory of the Sierra (and much of the world) consists of many such events as well as fires, earthquakes, massive avalanches, ice ages--all have made the Sierra what it is today. Just because it is inconvenient doesn't make it bad.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!