REI dividends are out, 20% member sale starts tomorrow

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: REI dividends are out, 20% member sale starts tomorrow

Post by quentinc »

Should I feel like a cad to admit that I just ask REI to cut me a check (there may be a short waiting period)? It's gotten so with the Internet, you can almost always find something cheaper elsewhere if you hunt around. I do appreciate that REI has actual stores you can visit. Still, I trust that they're making enough money off the VISA affinity card to make up for the $300 I get back.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Q

Big benefit of REI is the no questions asked return policy. So what if you pay a little more if it is guaranteed to generate a refund if you are not satisfied with a product. My wife went thru several day packs before she found one then two that worked for her for the cost of the first one that didn't work. She also went thru a couple pairs of x-country ski boots that took a couple of hours of skiing before she knew they wouldn't work and returned them. I returned a pair of boots that delaminated after 30 miles but had to put on another 30 before I got to the TH. Markskor completely overstressed his trekking poles and returned them. ..........

And if you can wait until the item you want is on sale or there is a 20% off coupon (as now) then you can get a deal and a great return policy.

Mike (new REI marketing guru :^o )
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Mike,

Well, I am about to visit my local REI to exchange my Big Bad Agnes airless-core mattress for, literally, the 5th time. The most recent time that I got a new one, it leaked on the very first trip I took it on, which is pretty impressive even for that windbag. The problem is I'll never take it on another trip after all the times it has deflated my hopes, so I guess I'll just keep the brand new one in its wrapper.

I hope REI gets the manufacturer to replace them for free.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Q

Try out one of the expeds. My new one (exped replaced my old first generation one for free when the valve or something had an undectable but slow leak) worked flawlessly for 10 nights last fall. Note I also use an 1/8" thick closed cell pad (that weighs about 1/2 as same size tyvek ground cloth) to buffer the pad from little sharp objects.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Exped just released the Downmat UL7, 20.5 oz. R is 5+. Available everywhere but REI.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Freestone!

You didn't have to tell me that bit of news! Looks like I could save a net of 10 or more oz over my current 7LW model.

Mike
Mike

whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Put my $24.56 against the cost of a Big Agnes Fly Creek2. Trying to down size some this year and go lighter. Bought a new pack from Mountain Gear, a Osprey Atmos 65 and a new bag from Back Country Gear, a Marmot Helium. Just helped me to cut 5 lbs off my pack weight. Good start!
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Bill,

Did you use the 20% off coupon too?

Mike
Mike

quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

In praise of REI: When they looked up my illustrious history and saw I had returned the Big Agnes aircore mattress 4 times already, I figured they were going to tell me to get lost. Instead, they recommended I get something else and gave me a full refund of the original purchase price.

Now if only I could find a garment that's truly waterproof (having had my rain pants and rain jacket soaked through on Saturday), I'd spend the refund on it.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Bought a pair of Vasque Bitterroot boots yesterday that I'd been watching on the web for a couple months. Price didn't drop more than $10 anywhere from the $200 MSRP so might as well get $40 off using the 20% deal. And my rebate took care of the tax.