Leaving a vehicle at Mammoth Mtn. Inn parking lot

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Leaving a vehicle at Mammoth Mtn. Inn parking lot

Post by Mike M. »

Doyle, are you a bear expert, or just play one on the internet?
Russ, do you realize how offensive this remark sounds?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It's not rude. There are rules and regulations for how to handle food properly around bears. Not gonna be in my car. Shouldn't be in others near my car if parked near an offender.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Then you should have said that, rather than flaming on Doyle with your sarcastic (and belittling) comment. That is not what this forum is about. You of all people should know that.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

js, when we left our truck at MMI, we were told to park it in the back and leave the key. They gave us a parking pass to put on the day board. No charge, but things might have changed since then. If you're there when I'm in town, I can hold the food for you. I'm planning to spend some time in Mammoth this summer. Last year some friends in my area dropped a resupply off with me and I took it to Reds Mdw with the $1/day fee. They paid the $7 bus fare for me to get it there.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
snusmumriken
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by snusmumriken »

Don't leave food in the car in the Sierras - enough said.

Freeze dried food lasts for a long time, years according to the best by date stamps. So just keep it for your next backpacking trip.

Pick up what you need in one of the stores in Mammoth, stay the night at a hotel, shower, and eat real food at a restaurant.

If you prefer to not deal with civilization quite yet and want to stay on the trail for your whole trip you could do that. Resupply at the store in Reds Meadow, they have freeze dried food, oatmeal, nutrition bars, peanut butter, crackers, candy, ice-cream and beer! There is also a restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, so you can get some real food. Then three days later you repeat the process by purchasing your resupplies at the store in Tuolomne and eating burgers at the grill. Three more days your trip ends with a celebratory meal at the Curry Village pizza deck in Yosemite Valley.

You'll have a great trip!
js hill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by js hill »

Thank you Snow Nymph for your kind offer. I will let you know if I need your assistance when our trip gets closer.
And thank you everyone else for your opinions and input.
js hill
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Off topic but...
snusmumriken wrote: Resupply at the store in Reds Meadow, they have freeze dried food, oatmeal, nutrition bars, peanut butter, crackers, candy, ice-cream and beer! There is also a restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, so you can get some real food.
For what Reds Meadow charges for their "real" food (Understandable as a short season, but Wow!) $20 for a burger, chips - (BTW, no fries available) - and a milkshake ...as well as their prices on re-supply items; so much cheaper to spend the $7 and hit Mammoth for the day. Good market for re-supply purposes and the beer is cheaper/colder in town too.
snusmumriken wrote: ...and then three days later you repeat the process by purchasing your resupplies at the store in Tuolomne and eating burgers at the grill.
Quite the difference in prices/selection here and I really do not understand why. You can easily re-supply for a week-long trip out of the Tuolumne big-top tent. You can also procure breakfast, ice cream softies, as well as buy beer by the six-pack, and while a bit expensive, not an arm and a leg.

Maybe the sheer volume of 120 explains the price variances but of all the JMT food-re-supply stops/zero days available, I rank Tuolumne first, just edging out The Portal (Ah,the Portal Burger!) -
Next would be Reds only due to its close proximity to Mammoth...
VVR, and/or MTR would rank last on my list as although both convenient and necessary, they have gotten a bit pricey.
Mountainman who swims with trout