Leaving a vehicle at Mammoth Mtn. Inn parking lot

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
js hill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Leaving a vehicle at Mammoth Mtn. Inn parking lot

Post by js hill »

My wife and I will be hiking the JMT this summer starting at South Lake and ending at Happy Isles. We have a friend that will move our vehicle from South Lake to the parking lot near the Mammoth Mtn. Inn. We will take YART back to Mammoth when we complete our hike. When we reach Red's Meadow, we plan on taking the shuttle bus from Devil's Postpile up to the parking lot and then take our car into Mammoth to resupply, visit a laudromat, etc. and then return back to the trail. I was wanting to leave some unopened freeze-dried food packages in the trunk of the car but I am not sure if there are "bear issues" at the Mammoth Mtn. Inn. Are there restrictions for doing this? Your input will be appreciated. Thanks, js hill
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Leaving a vehicle at Mammoth Mtn. Inn parking lot

Post by oldranger »

I don't know if there are legal issues, but Mammoth does have bear issues and I personally would not choose to leave food in my car up near MM Inn.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Since you have your car there, why not just run into town (only a few minutes) and buy new freeze dried meals? There are two good outdoor stores on the main road. There are lockers at the Mammoth Ski area, but I think they charge for storage. I personally would not leave food in a car at the Mammoth parking lot.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

You can take a package to Reds Mdw and they will store it for you for $1/day. The store at Tuolumne Mdws will also store it for you but can't remember what they charged. Be sure to get a parking permit at MMI, and leave your key. Maybe they can keep the food for you, or like WD said, buy more at the store in town. :)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The store at Tuolumne Mdws will also store it for you but can't remember what they charged
If you drop it off at the post office they charge 20 dollars. If you mail it then it's only the post fee.
js hill
Topix Acquainted

Post by js hill »

Is there a "packer" parking area near the Mammoth Mtn. Inn or do I have to get a parking permit and park wherever in that humungous parking lot? Is there a cost for the parking permit? I will go into town for some supplies, but I have already purchased our freeze-dried food for the entire trip. I'm thinking about mailing a package with our food to the post office in Mammoth. that would probably be the safest way to go. Thanks for the info.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

I have used that Mammoth Parking Lot (near the bus stop) many times. I would not hesitate to leave freeze-dried food in the trunk of a car, though just for sanity sake I would put it in a few layers of bags. There is no way a bear can smell freeze-dried food in a trunk. If a bear got in, it would not be because of the food. And that lot is pretty packed in the summer at all hours, and I have been there at all hours. If there are bears there, it must be for the lifts...
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Another idea: rent an extra bear canister and store your extra food in it (place the food in the canister, seal the canister, place the canister in your car trunk). Easy and inexpensive. You can pick up your extra canister when you pick up your wilderness permit.

Mike
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:I have used that Mammoth Parking Lot (near the bus stop) many times. I would not hesitate to leave freeze-dried food in the trunk of a car, though just for sanity sake I would put it in a few layers of bags. There is no way a bear can smell freeze-dried food in a trunk. If a bear got in, it would not be because of the food. And that lot is pretty packed in the summer at all hours, and I have been there at all hours. If there are bears there, it must be for the lifts...
Doyle, are you a bear expert, or just play one on the internet? I'd rather rent a car, get the insurance and then put the can with food in it in the trunk. Just takes a pin prick and the summer heat to start the smell process.
js hill
Topix Acquainted

Post by js hill »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:I have used that Mammoth Parking Lot (near the bus stop) many times. I would not hesitate to leave freeze-dried food in the trunk of a car, though just for sanity sake I would put it in a few layers of bags. There is no way a bear can smell freeze-dried food in a trunk. If a bear got in, it would not be because of the food. And that lot is pretty packed in the summer at all hours, and I have been there at all hours. If there are bears there, it must be for the lifts...
I was first thinking of putting the freeze dried food packages in a 5 gal. bucket with a lid (duct tape around the rim), I think the chances would be pretty remote that a bear could smell through that. Do you know if you have to get a parking permit for the parking lot? If so where do you get the parking permit and is there a cost involved. Thanks for your input. js hill