2012, Emigrant Wilderness, where 2go

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

2012, Emigrant Wilderness, where 2go

Post by frediver »

I need a bit of help here, I have been in Emigrant a few times but never
done much fishing and would like to this year.
I am hoping you can help me come up with a loop, 10-15mi. in, lazy
around a couple days then back out. I have 5-6 days to be on the trail and don't really have a clue about fishing prospects.
All of my past trips have started at Burst Rock and ended up around Wire Lakes but the fishing opportunities in that area seem a bit scarce, any other suggestions?
I don't need to know the special spots but would like a couple fish dinners.

Thanks
Last edited by frediver on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2011, Emigrant Wilderness, where 2go

Post by TehipiteTom »

If you're looking to visit Emigrant in 2011, I recommend a time machine. ;)

(Sorry! I just couldn't resist. :) But since I don't have any substantive knowledge about this, here's a link to search results for 'Emigrant' in the Fishing Hole.)
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Re: 2011, Emigrant Wilderness, where 2go

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I'm certainly no expert on the area having only hiked into the Emigrant once, many years ago in late season, but I found the fishing pretty good. We hiked out of the Kennedy Meadows/Relief Res area to Lunch Meadow/Summit Crk, then on to Emigrant, Buck, Cow Meadow, Huckleberry, Maxwell, Emigrant Meadow Lakes, etc. The fishing was typical mid summer stuff with the fish active mostly early and late, but we did get some nice sized bows and brooks.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
frediver
Topix Regular

Re: 2012, Emigrant Wilderness, where 2go

Post by frediver »

Damn, my Way-Back Machine will not fit in the pack, had to edit. :eek:
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I don't fish but I did help consume some big fat trout my friends caught at High Emigrant Lake a few years back. Big enough they had to be cut in half to fit in the skillet.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

frediver wrote:I need a bit of help here, I have been in Emigrant a few times but never
done much fishing and would like to this year.
I am hoping you can help me come up with a loop, 10-15mi. in, lazy
around a couple days then back out. I have 5-6 days to be on the trail and don't really have a clue about fishing prospects.
All of my past trips have started at Burst Rock and ended up around Wire Lakes but the fishing opportunities in that area seem a bit scarce, any other suggestions?
I don't need to know the special spots but would like a couple fish dinners.

Thanks
My experience, there's nothing lazy about 10 miles into Emigrant. I loved Wire lks. If you want to see the heart of Emigrant, head down towards Deer Lk. And all the lakes SE of there.. You hike that far; take them in.. Yes, it's work.. It's work just to get to the Wires.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

We spend a lot of time there....

Look at Wood Lake, Red Can and Five Acre. These are not 10-15 miles, closer to a 20 mile loop. But you will get some great scenery and excellent fishing.

Check out our website for the trip reports and photos etc.

Here's an example:

The EASIEST access to this area is via Crabtree Cabin and then to Grouse lake...you only have a couple of ridges to climb. Or Kennedy Meadows, where you have to climb over horse manure...!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I've made two trips into Emigrant in the last 4 years, once out of Kennedy Meadows, the other out of Crabtree. Neither time did I have good luck fishing, but I think that's on me more than the area.

On the north slope of Granite Dome there are quite a few lakes which I've read do have good populations of trout. The exception to that is Iceland Lake—it is apparently fishless. The creek draining Lewis Lakes was full of little ones and I did pull a couple out of there. My friend with a spinner setup (I fly fish) was getting hits left and right.

Out of Crabtree we fished Big Lake and Pingree Lake. No luck in either place, but we saw some lunkers in Pingree. Both fly and spinners used. Balzaccom is directing you in the right direction. I've also read Yellowhammer lake has a healthy population. Incidentally, the drainage below Yellowhammer looked like fun creek fishing last year (high water year), but not sure how it will be in a normal or low year. I didn't have my rod with me on that day hike, but I wish I had.

Both the area around Granite Dome and Big Lake/Pingree Lake are beautiful. I'd suggest either to anyone. Do a search here for "Emigrant" and you'll find multiple reports.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.