Minarets, Mt. Ritter... trip advice please

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Minarets, Mt. Ritter... trip advice please

Post by AaronRDavis »

Hello everyone,

I am planning a trip to the Minarets/Ritter area. Have traveled in much of the southern part of Ansel Adams wilderness but never done a trip to this area. I am thinking we will be entering from the Mammoth area, Eastern side of the Sierra. Any advice on where exactly to enter, what trails to take, places to layover, camp, etc? We would really like to climb to the summit of Mt. Ritter, however none of us are experienced in anything beyond class 3 'climbing'. Will we likely have to do this late in the season due to ice/snow? I have a topo map of the area, and also own Secor's peaks passes and trails. But i'd like to get any input or suggestions from all of you here. Hopefully i've provided adequate info.

Experience: Level 3- Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel

Not comfortable with or experienced in snow/glacier travel. Totally fine with river crossings and boulder hopping.

Interests: Big mountain scenery, fishing, solitude

Have about 5 days possible. Be at trailhead early a.m. of first day. Willing to hike 8-10 miles per day but enjoy to have layover/relaxing days in between. Prefer loop trips.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Minarets, Mt. Ritter... trip advice please

Post by maverick »

Hi Aaron

Lots of info available on this area on HST, just use the search feature at the top of
the section, do some homework, than when you have a specific route in mind
and some questions ask away.
For example:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6644&p=46065&hilit= ... ake#p46065" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5311&p=32788&hilit= ... ess#p32788" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6971&p=48822&hilit= ... ake#p48822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4252&p=25493&hilit= ... ake#p25493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For the shuttle: http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/f ... ations.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Probably the best write up with pictures of the easiest route, from the west is at:
http://highwire.stanford.edu/~galic/hiking/ritter2009/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Would consider doing Banner instead, much easier class 2 from Catherine Lake, without
any route finding, and has some great views from it's summit too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org