Desolation Wilderness hike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Desolation Wilderness hike

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There is free trailhead parking a few hundred yards uphill from the boat dock at Echo Lake. It is a fairly small lot and sometimes fills. Last year I saw many cars parked along the road behind the parking lot, although I am not sure overnight parking along the road is legal.
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

The lot at Echo lake fills early on weekends (we got one of the last spaces at 8.45am on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend), but is not bad in the week. On weekends there are many people parking on the roadside, often overnight, and this seems to be tolerated.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gazelle »

You could go in from Meeks Bay I believe parking there is free. Go past Crag lake, rubicon Lake etc over Phillips Pass to the Velmas and out that way pick up at Eagle Lakes parking.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein