silk/wool socks?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

silk/wool socks?

Post by markskor »

Was down at REI yesterday, looking for something to spend my $37 yearly dividend check on and was looking at socks.
Usually get the thickest wool (Smartwools - ~$16) but noticed a wool/silk blend (kind of pricey too - ~$23)…never thought of silk as good sock material.
Asked the guy about this and he said, “Silk is warmer when hiking over wet conditions”…and I still do not know what this means.
Since the boots should not get wet inside anyway, what gives? Anybody use the silk?
Mountainman who swims with trout
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: silk/wool socks?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have wet feet a lot, so comfort when wet is a feature I like. As far as warm when wet, wool does that job fine by itself. I think the blend is to add smoothness and comfort to wool socks. Silk also may be stronger so the sock may last better. It also may just be something new so that the manufacturer hopes people would be willing to pay more - in other words marketing gimicks.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Back in ancient history (1970's) before the popularity of synthetics, the backpacking store I worked in carried silk liner socks. Apparently silk has many of the good aspects of wool - warm when wet, little stink. I never have used liners so I never tried them out and they disappeared shortly after polypro became the thing. I do have a super-lightweight silk balaclava that I can vouch for the warm when wet part. Silk is a tough material also, but my smartwools last forever anyway. Probably more gimmick than function I'd wager
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Mark,

I'm not sure how tough silk is. Doubt there is a warmth advantage over wool. WD may be right as to the smoothness but if that is an issue why not use a liner?

My "sleeping" shirt is a silk turtleneck and it is the next best thing after sleeping next to my wife neked!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mike wrote:
My "sleeping" shirt is a silk turtleneck and it is the next best thing after sleeping next to
my wife neked!
That's funny Mike. Did you check out my PM from last night? :unibrow:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i used silk liners for years.. sometimes they'd bunch up.. I was starting to get a hot spot last year, so, I took them out.. and went right to the REI smartwool.. hotspots gone. YMMV..
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Maverick,

yes it was funny but only relevant as ancient history given my stage in life. Did forward it to my son and son-in-law. Will show it to kathy this afternoon.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

My wife tried some silk/wool blend socks once. They did not hold up well.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I too am ancient when it came to liners and ragg wool socks. Socks; is it now smartwool, blend,merino or with or without liner? I know there are opinions out there.
Funny thing I was pricing new Danner Lights to potentially replace my almost 30 yo ones...$200+? I think I paid about $65 for them. Lightweight and still comfy and supportive.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Mark, take a look at the latest Sierra Trading Post flyer for socks. They have been sending out a lot of flyers lately so quanities and brands very. Last week I ordered a couple pair of medium wieght Smartwool socks for under $6 a pair. :thumbsup:
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray