Giardia treatment?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Giardia treatment?

Post by oldranger »

George,

Isn't that what hand sanitizer is for?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Mike,

Surprise, surprise. Those who got used to using only hand sanitizers, instead of soap
and water, are in for a shocking surprise.
This following article points out categories of viruses and bacteria that are not susceptible
to alcohol-based hand gel, including Giardia. Only good old soap and water will remove
the spores.
http://safetysavvy.blogspot.com/2008/03 ... -kill.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Am I missing something. No one filters their water?
That would be me. I believe hand washing is far more important. If there is any doubt (I hardly ever go where there is) I boil.

I work with a microbiologist. Her take is there are lots of things in water that will make you sick, you have to be susceptible and the concentration sufficient. Giarda spores sink to the bottom so drink from the top, preferably large lakes where solar action also has an opportunity to sterilize.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

My father-in-law is a physician, and we filter just about all our water in the Sierra. I've had Giardia froma white water rafting trip where I inhaled a ton of water...and i don"r want to repeat that experience.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Maverick,

Oh sh*t! Does that mean my 151 doesn't work internally either?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I have a growing list of confirmed Giardia cases - my current total is 14, including someone's dog, all contracted between 5,000 - 10,000 feet elevation in the Sierra Nevada.

That's just cases I am aware of in my general circle of 100-200 hikers in my group, plus two backpackers who post frequently on one of the backpacking forums. A little too high a number for my comfort.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

AlmostThere wrote:
I have a growing list of confirmed Giardia cases - my current total is 14, including
someone's dog, all contracted between 5,000 - 10,000 feet elevation in the
Sierra Nevada.

That's just cases I am aware of in my general circle of 100-200 hikers in my group,
plus two backpackers who post frequently on one of the backpacking forums. A
little too high a number for my comfort.
Really wonder if this has to do with a lot of people are under the false assumption
that they can fore go washing hands, and just use a hand sanitizer. Even in the food
industry for our sanitation classes we are taught that hand sanitizers can only be
used after washing hands, if at all.
There where just some major illness due to the Norovirus in a few schools in the Bay
Area for example, and sanitizers are not effective against this virus either.
With just having to squirt some sanitizer after the deed, instead of washing ones
hands, may be more convenient/quicker, but does make the chances of contracting
Giardia go way up.
I did say people, before someone mentions the dog.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've filtered water all my life.. so have my friends.. no obvious connection between hand sanitizers, as we never carried any.. No stomach issues of any kind.. Maybe because we all fish and our hands are wet/washed all day long.. i live with dogs.. they wouldn't be the problem.. as long as you wash your hands after you clean up after them.. :o
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I've always been given to understand that the transitory stomach upsets that can happen on the trail are what's attributed to poor hygiene.

Giardia usually comes along somewhere around 8-10 days after ingestion of the contaminated water and can be much, much more severe - sometimes requiring hospitalization and definitely requiring some antibiotics. Whereas the stomach bug brought on by unwashed hands resolves itself.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

AlmostThere wrote:I've always been given to understand that the transitory stomach upsets that can happen on the trail are what's attributed to poor hygiene.

Giardia usually comes along somewhere around 8-10 days after ingestion of the contaminated water and can be much, much more severe - sometimes requiring hospitalization and definitely requiring some antibiotics. Whereas the stomach bug brought on by unwashed hands resolves itself.
What are you advocating?