2006 Mosquito report..post 'em here.

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
zandarman
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Mosquitoes

Post by zandarman »

anybody been up around seven gables, vee lake. Like an update on the bloodsuckers.
streamer
Topix Novice

Post by streamer »

Took a day hike to Hidden and Crater Lakes above Florence Reservoir last Sunday. Bugs thick at Crater, but light at Hidden only 1 mile away. In between, the small puddles near Dutch Lake were teeming with larvae.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

trailblazer wrote:Backpacked up to Red Mountain Basin in the John Muir Wilderness this last weekend (July 1-3). Encountered mosquitos just past the Maxson Meadow trailhead, but they thinned out until Long Meadow, where they became horrendous up until the climb away from Post Corral Creek. Above about 9000ft they were nearly non-existent so far, but the amount of standing water up there from the melting snow suggests they aren't too far away from emerging in clouds.
Did you get to Devil's Punchbowl? My favorite lake in the Sierra. I have never had skeeter problems there. Your report is encouraging. I will be at about 10k out of mineral King on Friday so maybe they won't be too thick yet.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Re: Mosquitoes

Post by mountaineer »

zandarman wrote:anybody been up around seven gables, vee lake. Like an update on the bloodsuckers.
Does it look like there are any skeeters in this picture?

Actually, it was taken in Spetember about '91 or '92.
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

Here's my definitions:
Not bad: a few here and there, not enough to be annoying
Moderate: hungry enough to be annoying, swarm ya when stopped, swatting a lot while stopped
Voracious: swarming ya even while moving; so thick you want to cry

Bishop Pass 7/7/06: Moderate up to at least Bishop Lake (~11,200)
Mono Pass - Little Lakes Valley 7/5/06: Moderate up to at least Ruby Lake. None at Mono Pass.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Ranboze wrote:Here's my definitions:
Not bad: a few here and there, not enough to be annoying
Moderate: hungry enough to be annoying, swarm ya when stopped, swatting a lot while stopped
Voracious: swarming ya even while moving; so thick you want to cry

Meysan Canyon (near Whitney)
Moderate both days at Grass Lake at 10,900'
None up higher
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Re: Mosquitoes

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

zandarman wrote:anybody been up around seven gables, vee lake. Like an update on the bloodsuckers.
I was up that way early season about two years ago. Below Three Island Lake, Marie Lake and V-Lake the bugs like to have pestered me to death: I HAD to go to one of those higher lakes where they were not so bad. That is to say, its always better to be above timberline this time of year. And remember, mosquito season is just getting started.
I remember one time at Tildon Lake my pards white shirt was turned nearly black with mosquitoes. One swat and I could kill hundreds. My pard amused himself making a huge pile of dead mosqiotoes. In those kinds of conditions, you look for an exposed spot with lots of wind.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

I was up in the Caribou Wilderness area last weekend.

There is an incredible amount of water in the region. Every low spot and meadow is a marsh/vernal pond.

As long as a breeze was blowing during the day and you slathered on the DEET it was tolerable. At dusk, it didn't matter how much bug juice you poured all over you, they were bad even by Caribou Wilderness standards. :eek:

I'm staying outta there until after the first hard frost.

On the plus side, still lots of wildflowers.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

July1-4- Sawmill Pass Trail to Woods Basin area- not bad at all, but they were there. I'd imagine they are alot worse these days. Really annoying little gnats on the lower parts of the Sawmill trail, though.
SBSlowpoke
Topix Novice

Post by SBSlowpoke »

Noticeable decline at Whitney Portal from two weeks ago, though moderate at Trail Camp due to the amount of water and lack of wind and warm weather.