Gear List

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Gear List

Post by oldranger »

Another senior moment, as soon as I read Rogues reply I remembered that is where I got mine!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

a scale matters why? I have one, but it's a postal scale. What you pack is what you need. weight at that point doesn't matter.

Sure it's fun.. 52.. that's what i get every trip.. pretty happy with that..
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

It gives me a hint where I might be able to shave oz to make up for my extravagant downmat!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

"What you pack is what you need". Deciding what I need is like looking in my closet and trying to decide what to wear. Too many choices! All that gear begs "you need me", "take me". Four tents, three bivy sacks, four sleeping bags, six packs, five sleeping pads, four types of bear cans. You get the picture. I am a pack rat who never throws out anything. To be fair, my husband and I combined two households of backpack gear plus gear his kids gave back to him because they no longer wanted it. We also have four complete sets of technical climbing gear. Maybe we should start an outdoor school.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well if your a machine and packing 50 pounds has no effect on you after a 10 or 15 mile day then fine more power to you but I learned quickly in backpacking that going light greatly increases your enjoyment of wilderness travel when your not hiking along in pain and just crying for your destination. Then when you arrive your so tired you don't want to really do anything but go to sleep for 15 hours.

What you take is not always what you need but if it was that's fine. You take what you need and then try to make those things lighter.

My gear list is about as simple as I can go for a month or multi month hike. There are things I could do to save a couple pounds but nothing I really would want to do.

My only real increase in weight this year is going with a ULA Catalyst vs a Circuit. I did this in order to carry up to 15 or more days of food when last year my longest section without resupply was 10 days.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm pretty sure some of our pack weights are listed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not like i weigh it every year, bit by bit.. you zero yourself on the bathroom scale, put on your pack, and then bend the scale to measure what you're carrying, sans water.

I do the same thing with the food pre-pack.. load it in the bearikade, jump on the scale and read the 11lb diff..
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Rogue- two questions. How did your pack hold up while bushwhaking this summer? You said you are going to a heavier version for added space. Is the new pack any sturdier than the old one and if so, was that a factor in changing the pack?

Second, exactly how much does all your camera gear weigh? Do you take a tripod? I am doing a 35-day contiouous trip this year with 22 days where I have no access to electricity (horse packer resupply) and am in a quandry regarding how to deal with the camera battery. I think I am going to have to buy a spare battery. Any suggestions?
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

How did your pack hold up while bushwhaking this summer?
The ULA Circuit did pretty well over all. The bushwhacking itself had no effect on the pack. My only problems was about half way through the trip the primary buckle that goes over the top of the back half way broke. One side of the clip would not snap in so I was just waiting for the day it fails completely but it did not come. Then the small mesh pouch that hangs inside the pouch split at the top so I removed and tossed it. The primary hand loop you pick the pack up with was a bit frayed looking by the end but over all the pack did just fine. In 2010 I used the Catalyst but in an effort to go lighter weight I bought the Circuit last year.

The Catalyst is indeed stronger. It has a better back panel to support the weight. The pack is only 11 ounces heavier.

My camera gear has been cut way down since I stopped taking my 5D2 along. I miss the awesome photos but my photos last year turned out pretty good with the G12. The biggest thing I miss is the ability to do night time star photos. When I would take that I had 7 pounds of camera gear. I have never brought a tripod. When I did star photos I would use my bear barrel.

It really depends on how you look at my camera weight now. I have to bring the camera battery charger since the G12 does not use AA's. Then I bring 3 extra 16 gig SD cards besides the one in the camera. I have one extra camera battery which last year I did not need but I will this time.

It depends on what batteries your camera uses when it comes to your options. There are some decent solar charger options or battery packs. What does your camera use and then maybe we can go over some options.
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

Rogue, What kind of solar battery charger do you use, and how well does it work and how much does it weigh?
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well last year I brought a Brunton Restore but it didn't work out that well. It is about 8.7 ounces and has it's own battery inside to save the power. The trouble is it takes about 10 hours of good sun to charge it's battery which was only 3700 mAh. That means that when it was fully charged it could not bring a set of standard Sanyo Eneloop batteries up to full charge because they are 2000 mAh each. If your power requirements aren't as high as my GPS AA's are then it's a handy little thing but it hardly did enough for me to take it again.

This year I bought a Brunton Solaris 4 which weighs 7.09 ounces inside it's carrying bag. It has no internal battery but has a max output of 5V at 800mAh. That more or less "should" be like plugging my USB charger into a wall socket. I am hoping that this will allow me to keep my stuff charged while in the backcountry other wise I will be out of luck with tracking statistics on my GPS. I will just keep it off unless I need it. I wont know how it does until I get out there though.