Route Planning

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Route Planning

Post by oleander »

Some photos from Mineral King...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Franklin Lakes are also very photogenic. (These are of the lower lake.) More crazy red, white and green.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Interesting how different times of the year gives people a different perspective.
Being over Franklin a few times and have seen the lake seen both crowded, and
have had it completely to myself.
Have been through the Timber Gap when it was like a flower garden, and at other
times dry, and boring, so there are a lot of variables.
There is a small lake right next to Columbine Lake that many disregard but it offers
a good wind protection, and a great view of the Kaweah Ridge.
The view from Black Rock Pass, and Sawtooth Pass are very good eastward.
Here is a shot from Sawtooth Pass looking eastward over Columbine Lake, which really
should have been called Guitar Lake.
One form Black Rock Pass looking east toward FLL, and Kaweah Ridge.
A shot from above one of the lakes in Red Spur basin looking north towards Kern
Point, a b&w in upper Kaweah Basin, which will give you an idea of the terrain in
the upper part, and then on looking back towards the ridge a little lower down in
the basin.
http://wildernessapertures.com/p1003266800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; click on each picture twice to get larger view.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Maverick

Every time I click on your recent links I get the following "Sorry, the page you were looking for cannot be found."

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Try again OR, there seems to be some lag time. Let me know if it works. Thanks

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did a loop up Farewell Gap, then Shotgun Pass and back over Franklin Pass early season (the week that the Mineral King Road opened), although it was July 4th but a snowy year. There was a short (maybe 30 feet) but very steep (nearly vertical) cornice all along the east side of Franklin Pass. It really was not a problem once the sun hit it and the snow softened. I do not know if it is a regular feature or just builds up occasionally. I camped at Upper Franklin Lake- it was scenic and not crowded but early season I had to hunt a bit to find a dry site. I also camped close to the weather station below Farewell Gap (just past the trail junction and at about 9400) and at Silver Lake. The wildflowers were amazing! It was so green- what I imagine Ireland looks like. Crossing Franklin Creek can be difficult. I crossed on the cement dam at the lake and then came down the southwest side of the creek. Water was high when I was there and I am short so have trouble with crossings.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The only pluses with the snow is
that all that rocky terrain will be easier, and faster to travel over, but the passes will
be more difficult, unless you preferred the snow.
That's the trouble with this sort of hike is I cannot be everywhere at the right time. I have to just take it as I go.

It's really a mixed bag with snow. Sometimes it can make things allot better on passes when you can just slide to the bottom or it can be scary. I imagine the approach to Pyra Queen will be snow covered. My hope is that in a low snow year I can kick nice steps into the snow vs last year of hard consolidated snow the entire year!

I think things are going to be interesting for sure since I plan to cross Pyra Queen, Pants, Lion Rock, Lion Lake and Copper Mine Passes all in June.

Blah your making me impatient to get back out into the wild with all these photos! It is kind of a shame to explore all these areas with mostly snow cover but it's just sort of how the hike came together. Last year I was on my way back to Mineral King but didn't quite make it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rogue wrote:
Blah your making me impatient to get back out into the wild with all these photos!
Put another photo in that collection that was posted earlier. :D There are not a lot of
campsites in the upper part of the Kaweah Basin. Arriving late the day before before, and
running out of light, had quickly make due with a small clearing between the rocks
near this lake.

RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I'll have to keep that in mind. I was planning to stay at those larger lakes in Upper Kaweah Basin. This year I won't have the option of free standing my tent. Something I might regret after all the times I did it last year.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Rogue,

Bring a fair amount of parachute cord or even some lighter stuff. If you have room for your tent you should be able to stretch out and anchor the corners to rocks or other anchors with the cord.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!