Run-ins with authorities

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Run-ins with authorities

Post by LMBSGV »

My family on my father's side came from Germany. They had to go into hiding after the Reichstag fire. Their home was firebombed. It's a long story, but only by smarts, courage, Gestapo incompetence, and a lot of luck they managed to get out of Nazi Germany alive.

All of you talking about Gestapo tactics do not know what you are talking about. I suggest you either learn your history or kindly refrain from further ridiculous comparisons.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by mokelumnekid »

Okay, enough with 42 years ago, we all agree that was a total c-f by all concerned, and what I regard as very poorly framed comparisons (sorry Rogue, I'm with LMBSGV on that). The TSA is not the USFS or the NPS. How are things TODAY? My previous post was based on my experiences in the last couple of decades, and my interactions with agency people in the field have been uniformly responsible. Sure there are occasional a-holes but I don't regard these as system wide abuses of my "liberty." That's just life, sometimes I have been an a-hole myself and I regret it. I don't agree with all the policies, but I firmly endorse an approach that I obey the laws and work with the everyday people who are tasked to enforce them anyway. The latest incident at Mt. Rainier, covered deeply in the Seattle press, was heart breaking. A tragic individual inflamed with their self-importance murdered a Ranger and a mother. 'Nuff said on that. I'm willing to extend my unconditional respect and support to EVERYONE who works in the field until they prove to me that they are not worth it. Because I work in the field too, and we all look out for each other. :paranoid:

Every time I have interacted with USFS and NPS people, whether getting my students permits to sample or providing housing, have been gracious. They have always tried hard to extend the agency mandate to cooperate, while at the same time trying to deal with the crazies, who often make campgrounds a living hell. Again, I lobby against some of the policies I don't agree with, but one-on-one, I give them a hearty welcome, exchange information and go on my way. :whistle:
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

Where is the "like" button for George's post? Oh yeah, wrong social network. =D> Maybe that'll work!
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Wow! VERY interesting read!

I guess it's been a while since I've been on the board... looks like I've got some catching up to do!
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

I believe that previously mentioned confrontation at Yosemite in 1970 was discussed a part of the book The Last Season by Eric Blehm. That incident is not the focus of the book, but it does give an insight into the life of a NP ranger and some of the people they encounter. A good read!

I can't say that I've ever had any confrontations with any "backwoods Barney Fife" types, most have merely been doing their job, which I understand and respect. However, I have to look at any law enforcement, wilderness or big city, that some people should NOT be given any authority over others, but not all of them are like that.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScoobyMike
Topix Acquainted

Run-ins with authorities

Post by ScoobyMike »

In '70 I was 15 living in Hulls Cove, just outside Acadia National Park. Biggest issue in the park was the locals shooting the deer that infested the area. Park Rangers were
ScoobyMike
Topix Acquainted

Run-ins with authorities

Post by ScoobyMike »

Pretty good to the locals...
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Age does matter! It’s not so much age, but the difference between reading about it and experiencing it. Experience is the key. It is impossible to capture more than a glimpse of events and their significance from history books. One groups history is another’s propaganda, so who is right? It’s all a perspective and a narrow one at that. What was happening was largely dependent upon who you were, where you were, and where you stood relative to the events.

We were in the midst of a war that had grown very unpopular. American youth were struggling to speak their mind and be heard by an adult society that grew up under the idea that children should be seen, not heard. The generation gap was a chasm apart. To top it off, there was a drug culture that hung like a cloud (laced with THC), further deepening the gap and adding a whole new dimension to the already civil unrest. We were also well into unrest over civil rights that echoed the same sort of rift between the status quo and the need for change. The methods for dealing with this type of civil unrest were ineffective and the actions from both sides were often unconscionable. The times, they were a changin’ and the learning curve was high for all sides.

Using terms suggestive of Nazi Germany in any respect, I believe, reviles the discussion and minimizes the true nature of the atrocities perpetuated during one of modern history’s darkest eras.

While we can all point to many aspects of American society as evidence to prove or disprove the idea that our civil liberties are being eroded, I think by and large, we still enjoy a very free society. I do believe we, as a people should be very wary of any legislation that infringes on our liberties. As an individual, I think it is especially important to be wary of any legislation that affects another’s liberties, but not mine, because tomorrow, the tide may turn with precedent set.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

is there a point in that statement? what does it have to do with DFG, Yose or Seki run-ins?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

With respect to the content of the entire thread, yes. With a specific arm of authority, only indirectly.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.