Gear List

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Gear List

Post by maverick »

Check this out Rougue: http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-477-pyro ... -1530.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

For one thing I would expect that after 80 straight days without washing the down will have lost some loft.
Ummm yeeeeaah... The only problem is my Versalite has done more then 95 days without washing and I probably wont end up washing it before I send it ahead. :whistle:

Who knows maybe I will but I did once in the tub and it was an awful experience.

That Pyromaniac bag is heavy. 3 pounds for the long. My Versalite is 2 pounds 2 ounces and the Summerlite is 21 ounces.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

how can one not wash a bag? you basically only have to punch it down into the tub once in a while, then run 2-3 rinses afterwards.. then drain, and move to the dryer or outside.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Lol it is not that easy at all. Getting it soaked is very difficult. Then moving it around while completely wet makes you think your going to rip it. Then it took like 8 rinses to stop feeling soap come out. And then it takes about 3 days to dry. The process of rinsing was actually so difficult I put a chair in the shower to set the bag on while I wet it and let water drain out of it.

Then last it takes allot of time to shake the down around and try to get it even again. I'm not sure I ever got it all balanced again after the one wash.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

isn't that what winter is for?
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by TRAUMAhead »

I'm usually freezing my ass off in the morning or night if I'm not hiking (Summer Sierras, Death Valley winters), so I need the down clothes to keep warm when doing camp chores and long underwear/top isn't enough for me. Flipside is I hike super hot, so I'm usually wearing a windshirt and shorts down to 35*-40*s. The long underwear doesn't work well with my clothing setup.

Like WD mentioned, the weight/bulk difference between my down clothes/quilt vs a bag is a wash, but I end up with a modular system. My 30* quilt will work down to 20*s or 40*s+ instead of needing (wanting?) 2 bags.

And where's everybody's gear list? :bear:
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

And where's everybody's gear list?
Coming soon, just have to weigh and add in a new pack and stove.
punch it down into the tub once in a while
Go to the Westernmountaineering web site. They will tell you how to best wash their products. First, leave it in the stuff sack until it is soaked. Be patient, it works. So does tennis balls in the dryer to punch free the clumped down.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Somewhat of a tangent, but does anyone have scale recommendations?
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Carne ...

I got mine at a cooking store. Sorry but it doesn't even have manufacturers name on it! but it measures in either oz. or grams and oz to the .1. It weighs up to 10 lbs which means I can not weigh my full Bearikade on it. But every other individual item can be accurately measured.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Sounds about the same for me. I got mine at Walmart in the cooking area. Has no name on it and does ounces, pounds, grams etc.