Gear List

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Gear List

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Thanks to the easy and useful gear grams website and buying a decent scale I have a complete layout of my gear and it's weight. Last year while I used a cheap and inaccurate scale I judged my pack to be about 22 pounds base weight. This was wrong. After all my new gear purchases this year cutting out several pounds I am at around 22 pounds base weight counting only the most basic of consumables such as toothpaste.

Here is my gear list for this seasons hike:

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=5398" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone else of this site use gear grams? If so post your setup! :D

I know like last year someone might say something about no first aid kit in my gear list and yes I do not have one. Although last year I did bring one and it got used by a hiking partner I have still decided not to take one.

The only thing that may change in the final setup listed is I may bring an Ipod touch with me instead of a Sansa Clip. This would add a few ounces.

I may decide to drop the microspikes also. Only time will tell on those.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Gear List

Post by freestone »

I use Gear Grams, but it's not near as tidy as yours! Nice. I noticed the slide bar on the right is not working correctly for me. Or is it just me?

Do you stay warm in the Summerlite or do you wear additional down to bed with it?
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by TRAUMAhead »

freestone wrote:I use Gear Grams, but it's not near as tidy as yours! Nice. I noticed the slide bar on the right is not working correctly for me. Or is it just me?
Working for me. Although when I'm editing my own gear list, the mousewheel doesn't work so I have to manually drag the slider up and down, go figure.

Here's my proposed gearlist, but I still need a few things like the bivy, down pants/socks, tarp beak, bear can, pot. Still need to make a first aid kit. If I manage to scrounge enough money, I'll be swapping packs/tarp with a Zpacks and losing a pound and a half, so shooting for 9.5lbs with a bear can, minus microspikes and ice axe depending on the snow. Gear is going to be for a 2 week trip with RogueP doing the HST + a loop back. :rockon:

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=3584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Do you stay warm in the Summerlite or do you wear additional down to bed with it?
Well that will be the big question now wont it lol. The last two years I have been using the Versalite and almost the whole season I never zipped it up because it was so warm. This year I am going to use the Summerlite but I have never slept in it yet. I am a big guy also and I don't fit that well in it so I think I will always be using it quilt style. I think I am going to mail my Versalite to Tuolumne Meadows in early September to play it safe for later season.

Traumahead here is going to enter the trail new boot goofin but I think after a week he will be like wtf did I do! :p
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

RoguePhotonic wrote:
The last two years I have been using the Versalite and almost the whole season I never zipped it up because it was so warm.
"Almost" is the operative key word here. Agree my Badger is overkill too, almost never zip it up Sierra but...
Those few nights where needed - most thankful for those extra 4 - 6 oz of guaranteed WM warmth.
How long you going out for again?
Believe I would carry the heavier bag myself.
Mountainman who swims with trout
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I bet though if I had not zipped it up I still would have been warm. But that was all into late September. When I first started the trip in July I was miserable hot in the thing. I think mailing it to Tuolumne is a good option. Then I can send my other bag home while there.

The plan is 134 days. I have almost all my supplies bought and after getting paid today I should have enough money to buy the rest or very close. Then it's just a matter of saving up trail funds. I just have to hope work holds out.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Just like you. The Versilite has been my go to bag for several years, but I sleep cold and chill easily in the evenings so I am always all zipped up. I have a WW Iroquois that is rated to 38 degrees, it's now back at the factory for some overstuffing. My plan is to use my Patagonia down hooded sweater and a pair of WW down pants as part of a sleeping system. The net weight gain/loss will be a wash, but I will be able to extend my comfort range in the evenings outside the bag and create a smaller footprint inside the pack.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

freestone wrote: My plan is to use my Patagonia down hooded sweater and a pair of WW down pants as part of a sleeping system. The net weight gain/loss will be a wash, but I will be able to extend my comfort range in the evenings outside the bag and create a smaller footprint inside the pack.
+1. I figure I'm bringing the extra down clothes, might as well use it. The downside is since I'm using the clothes to extend my quilt rating, I don't have a safety net for those what if days.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Given my understanding how the body functions I would think that the most efficient way to carry a few extra ounces of down is in a sleeping bag with a full length zipper for max flexibility. (think mittens vs. glove) If having a down layer for being comfy outside of the bag in extreme cold is important to you then the layer of down clothing is your choice. Personally in sept. my adaptation to the cold is adding a layer of light long underwear bottoms and top to my midsummer clothing. I think Rogue has a great idea in switching out bags for the later portions of his trip. For one thing I would expect that after 80 straight days without washing the down will have lost some loft.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My husband uses a "sleep system" of a custom made "elephant's foot" (Feathered Friends) and an expedition 800-down jacket. He wears the jacket in the morning and at night. BUT, it has to be thought of as a sleeping bag- it is NOT brought out of the tent if it is snowing or raining and he DOES NOT use it on the trail. You are right that there is no backup if it becomes useless. The total weight and bulk are, as you say, a wash when compared to a sleeping bag. He uses this system because he is extremely claustrophobic and cannot sleep in a sleeping bag. He is also a very warm sleeper. I am definitely very envious on cold mornings! The system would not work for me because I am an extremely cold sleeper- there are few nights that I do not cinch up the sleeping bag hood all the way. Old Ranger is right- one sleeping bag is more efficient from a strictly warmth/weight standpoint.