Muir Gorge 1976

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Muir Gorge 1976

Post by Mike M. »

Back in the day, always keen for new route ideas, I visited the San Francisco Public Library and happened on its collection of vintage Sierra Club Bulletins. This was well before the internet, GPS, MP3 players and Secor. (We did have Roper and our collection of 15 minute U.S. Geological Survey maps, which I still use today.) One of the articles (from the 1930s, I think) was an account of a trek and swim through the Muir Gorge during a low water year. That got my attention, since we were in the middle of a string of low precipitation years. So I resolved to give it a try.

In late August, 1976, my brother Van (all of 17 years old) and I ventured into the gorge and tried our luck. We started out at White Wolf, camping the first night at a nice little site above the canyon rim, where the trail intersects Morrison Creek.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.91201,-119.63232&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Van at deluxe Morrison Creek campsite

The next day, we hiked down to Pate Valley and then up the trail, where we found a gorgeous place to camp nestled in a lush grove of oak trees, about a mile below the upper end of Muir Gorge.
Dry leaves carpet the ground and add a special flavor of laziness to this delightful camp.
This camp was near where we expected to emerge after our rock hop and swim through the gorge. We spent the day scouting out the lower portion of the gorge and identifying landmarks, so we would know where and how to to exit before reaching an impassible waterfall.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.93465,-119.52726&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wyler's break at the Pate Valley bridge

Pate Valley

Our plan was to hike/swim in tennis shoes and shorts, with daypacks on our backs. I had a tupperware container to keep my camera dry; our munchies were sealed tight in plastic bags. We also brought along a nylon cord.

So the next morning, August 27th, we followed the trail up to the upper end of Muir Gorge, left the trail, and picked our way down to the river.

The water level was quite low and the mouth of the gorge is relatively broad. We lazily made our way down river, rock hopping on the shore and occasionally in the stream bed itself. We stopped and had a snack.

As the gorge narrowed, we encountered beautifully polished boulders and deep, pristine pools. More and more, we were forced into the river, swimming from pool to pool and rock hopping where possible.

The accounts I had read of the gorge led me to believe that we would have to descend from a steep cliff near the beginning of our way down the gorge, and that the only safe way to do this was with ropes. (A few daring souls had plunged in the water, disregarding the need for ropes.) As it turned out, we did not encounter this cliff, although, towards the end of our journey, we had to drop about 15 feet from a huge boulder into a deep pool. This was the highlight of the trip.

From this point, the river runs through a very narrow gorge, with high walls on each side, where it forms a deep channel for about 100 yards, maybe longer. We judged the water depth to be about 20 feet here, probably deeper as you move further into the steep walled gorge. What an amazing spot!

We checked our gear to make sure everything was water tight, then jumped, with huge smiles on our faces. No more rest spots here, and only one way out. We floated down the river for about ten minutes before emerging, via a series of pretty waterfalls and water plunges, to our exit point only about 200 yards from our camp, above the rim of a series of impassable falls. We found a convenient polished granite perch to spread out on, and a deep pool to swim in, and spent the next couple of hours enjoying the sun and drying our clothes out.

I noted in my trail diary:
I should add that from our one experience with Muir Gorge, it looks like during any normal year the gorge would be easily passable during late season.

I think I still agree with that assessment. Be sure to scout the route and survey the water level!

Mike
Last edited by Mike M. on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Muir Gorge 1976

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Wow! Very cool adventure indeed. Cant say I'd ever even heard of such things, but it looks like a blast. Thanks for the pics.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
fourputt
Topix Acquainted

Post by fourputt »

Those are the first color pics I've seen inside the Muir Gorge -- way cool!

On any Grand Canyon Tuolumne trip it's worth stopping for break and walking a hundred yards from the top of the saddle to get a look down into the Gorge.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Apologies for the poor scans -- did these on my flatbed scanner.

Can you imagine what this must look like in high water?

Mike
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Mike! Exceptional TR! Made me remember my passion as a youngster. Thanx for the fine photos, too. =D>
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

Mike,
I'll never forget that trip! It was my last of the season before beginning my senior year in high school.
What a GORGEous place. It was surreal floating through that walled slot. Deep, deep pools of cold, emerald colored water.
I remember being woken up by a troupe of boy scouts the night before. I guess we camped close to the trail.
You should send me those slides, so I can scan them on my fancy scanner.
Your brother Van
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;