Western Mountaineering sleeping bag sale

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Hoovertime
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Western Mountaineering sleeping bag sale

Post by Hoovertime »

I have never seen Western Mountaineering bags on sale until I came across this sale at Eastern
Mountain Sports. Supply and selection is limited and It's only through January 31. In addition EMS
regular price on the bags doesn't reflect a price increase Western Mountaineering recently instituted.
http://www.ems.com/family/index.jsp?cat ... torePrice-
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Western Mountaineering sleeping bag sale

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I got 20% off a Western Mountaineering Summerlite on http://www.backwoods.com about a month ago. That was also with no tax and free shipping.

You never know who may throw out a sale.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Wow!

340 for Western Mountaineering Alpinlite, less than 2lbs. and 34" across at shoulders. My bag and heartily recommend to anyone who is not skinny but also a little smaller than santa claus (this means that it is bigger than wandering Daisy needs (WM ultralite would work) but smaller than rlown or markskor would want (they use WM Badger which has got to be the most comfortable mummy I have ever tried out but a few ounces heavier than I want to carry).

Anyhow if you are in the market for a great bag this might be the time!

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Absolutely love my Badger. I'm 200 and 6'1". sure it's unzipped when warm but sweet when cold. got a preview of Markskor's WM vest. 6 oz of love. a great purchase for him.

Once you go WM, you'll never go back.

Russ
Clubb
Topix Regular

Post by Clubb »

hmmmm, I desperately need a new bag. It' prolly the one piece of gear that I will purchase this season. Maybe I will look at the Western Mountaineering. I want something roomy and light. My current mummy is too constricting and makes for long nights.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

How do they compare to the Marmot bags? I have a Marmot Helium, which I thought was the most expensive item of equipment imaginable until I checked the WM prices. :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Western Mountaineering are considered one on the gold standards of sleeping bags
(Feathered Friends is another), back in the day.
There are others now that have come on to the scene in the last decade that are
very good like Marmot, Exped, Mountain Hardwear, Rab, just to name a few, but as most
things, especially sleeping bags, it's worth making an investment in the best you can
afford, because your life may depend on it (literally).
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

quentinc wrote:How do they compare to the Marmot bags? I have a Marmot Helium, which I thought was the most expensive item of equipment imaginable until I checked the WM prices. :)
Check out some Cuben Fiber gear. :eek:

themountainshop.com is having a sale, but their online shop is broken so you have to call. The forum I read it on said 30%.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

TRAUMAhead wrote:[Check out some Cuben Fiber gear. :eek:
Is that something you get at a head shop?
kkman
Topix Novice

Post by kkman »

Western Mountaineering may be considered "the best", but in cold weather I have developed an appreciation for a hood that comfortably wraps around my head and when cinched allows just a hole for breathing. That eliminates WM bags for me. (And unfortunately being number one means they don't try to improve their hoods -- even REI makes better hoods on their sleeping bags.)