Yosemite backpackers' campgrounds

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite backpackers' campgrounds

Post by markskor »

RoguePhotonic wrote:
I wonder if the permits thru hikers get have a similar stipulation
The same rules apply to thru hikers but aren't enforced at all. More than one Ranger has told me that many of the permit rules aren't meant to apply to long distance hikers. They may technically apply but it's pretty much don't worry about it.
Same with having to carry a bear can...Don't know why, but PCT thru hikers are somehow "exempted" from having to use them in Yosemite.
Mountainman who swims with trout
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I hadn't heard that one. I knew that at places like Rae Lakes thru hikers don't have to carry them and that's the main reason there are bear boxes there. The thru hikers are supposed to use those while everyone else has their cans. I always thought in Yosemite you still had to have them though.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Last year spent most of the season in and out of Tuolumne. On countless occasions I hung with the PCTers and saw the constant resupply process going on...(On the two picnic tables...Pre-sent boxes from home picked up from the Tuolumne store...Rangers milling about...food stuffed right into packs...no cans used)... and even asked a Ranger why no cans seen/needed/required by these thru hikers?
Response - "We just leave them be."

Sigh...A double standard?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Doesn't this tempt one to simply procure a thru-hike permit each season and break the rules? Many thru-hikers drop out early anyway and who is going to make you prove you are on a thru-hike?

Inconsistent enforcement of rules definitely breeds contempt of rules. I realize the park service is not staffed enough to chase down all rule breakers, but to just sit there watch and do nothing?

I have always felt that Tuolumne needs an equivelent to Camp 4 - a walk in group site that is not tied to backpacking permits. That would leave the backpakcer's campground to true backpackers.

Camp Curry showers are open to the public, you just have to pay if you are not a registered guest. The showers are now located at the swimming pool and include use of it. So, bring a swim suit too! What the Camp Curry staff frowns upon is you sneaking into the shower without paying.

I always carry some money in dollar bills to cover these small fees. When I used the "free" shower at Tuolumne Lodge I simply gave the tip to the fellow who was on site cleaning. There are no amenites, so I had to dry off with my bandana! If you go to the regular pay shower, you can get a towel. In the big picutre, it is a small price to get that priceless hot shower.

BTW, when in Bishop the cheapest shower is to simply go to the public swimming pool, as long as you do not mind group showering. I usually just put on a bikini and wash up. The fee includes swimming, and it is also really fun to swim for a few minutes too.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I never wear a bikini when showering...:^)
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

In 2008 I was asked for my permit at the Tuolumne BPr's campground. Just happened that I was at the fee tube the same time as a ranger. My permit got a double look...it was handwritten as the power was out when I got it.

Alas the showers in Tuolumne were closed that year, too.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Balzacomm,

I did not need that image! :(

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

"We just leave them be."
Trail Magic!!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I don't think it's too bad to just let them be in Yosemite because the journey through Yosemite for a typical PCT thru hiker is only one or two nights in the back country.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

RoguePhotonic wrote:I don't think it's too bad to just let them be in Yosemite because the journey through Yosemite for a typical PCT thru hiker is only one or two nights in the back country.
Unfortunately, the Sierra’s “Bear can required areas” include many more trail miles than the few day spent crossing Yosemite.
http://sierrawild.gov/bears/food-storage-map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regulations also mandate having cans for parts of the Whitney Zone, large sections of SEKI, and all the trails around Reds Meadow…maybe 80 miles out of the JMT’s 210 mile total.

I too believe that the current “Trail Magic…Let them be” attitude now being used works, but there is a double standard in place.