Prospects for the summer, 2012

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Prospects for the summer, 2012

Post by Ikan Mas »

I will be doing the North Lake-Piute Pass-Evolution Valley-Bishop Pass-South Lake and back to North Lake loop in mid August. Navigated the on-line permit system and got my permit the other day. :)

With this one put to bed, I have been working on a second long trek loop starting and ending at Snoqualmie Pass in Washington. There is some spectacular country there and I'm itching to see it. Probably more mileage, but less elevation.

If the snow remains light, probably a couple other trips. Kibbie Lake with some friends over June 1. I'm trying to make the most of this years' lack of the white stuff.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Ikan- we've had plenty of snow up here in Washington this year, so maybe save that part of your trip for the end. And as always up here, bring LOTS of bug repellent of all types.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

M-Kid:

Planning to hit Alpine Lakes after Labor Day, just to avoid the crowds. Looks like good weather should be had in mid-September. I will bring lots of bug repellant; I've had some nasty experiences with wasps as well as mosquitos in the great northwet.

We're looking at Snoqualmie Pass -- Gravel Lake -- Spectacle Lake -- Waptus Lake -- Spade Lake -- Ivanhoe Lake -- down the middle Fork of the Snoqualimie -- Goldmyer Hot Springs -- Snow Lake -- back to Snoqualmie Pass. Looks like a nice loop, but a few more miles that desireable. Any comments you may have would be appreciated.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Jimr wrote:I think I'm set on Tehipite Valley, up and back from Rancheria in four days. Do I need a roll of chicken wire to keep the marmots away from the hoses and wires?
When I did Tehipite I took 5 days: 2 in, 2 out, 1 layover to explore the valley. 4 days would have been too aggressive (much less fun) for me; YMMV.
Yeah, I have 5 days allotted for the trip. Hope to get to Cow Meadow on the first day. A long haul, but that's how I do it. Get in fast the first day, past the casual over-nighters, then slow down.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Jimr wrote:
Jimr wrote:I think I'm set on Tehipite Valley, up and back from Rancheria in four days. Do I need a roll of chicken wire to keep the marmots away from the hoses and wires?
When I did Tehipite I took 5 days: 2 in, 2 out, 1 layover to explore the valley. 4 days would have been too aggressive (much less fun) for me; YMMV.
Yeah, I have 5 days allotted for the trip. Hope to get to Cow Meadow on the first day. A long haul, but that's how I do it. Get in fast the first day, past the casual over-nighters, then slow down.
Ah, okay--that makes more sense. Tehipite Valley is definitely worth a day in its own right.

One suggestion: you might think about continuing a couple miles beyond Cow Meadow the first day, to Rodgers Creek. It makes for a shorter second day, and Rodgers Creek is the best campsite between the trailhead and Tehipite. (I don't recommend camping anywhere in the Crown Valley watershed--intensive cattle & packstock use leave the water somewhat unappetizing, if you know what I mean.) IIRC, I went further than that my first day, and camped near BM 7456--a knoll off the trail where you can get your first glimpse of Tehipite Dome. The stream near there might not be running, though (unless you do it really early in the season); past Rodgers Creek, all the streams on the map have fairly low watershed high points, so the snow that feeds them melts relatively early in the season.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Looking at the map, I meant Hay Meadow. A long first day, but Rogers Creek looks good as well. It will be sometime in July or early Aug (dog days of summer). My reservations just came today, but I don't know which of my picks they gave me. Does Rogers Cr. tend to dry up or just the creeks beyond?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Jimr wrote:Looking at the map, I meant Hay Meadow. A long first day, but Rogers Creek looks good as well. It will be sometime in July or early Aug (dog days of summer). My reservations just came today, but I don't know which of my picks they gave me. Does Rogers Cr. tend to dry up or just the creeks beyond?
Okay, I wondered if maybe that was what you meant. That is a long day in, but doable. Last time I was there (mid-August, 1999) the stream in Hay Meadow was just a trickle; if you're going early in the season, it'll likely be okay.

Rodgers is a good-sized stream, and was in fine form on that mid-August trip. I think you can count on it pretty much whenever you go.