Late April Trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RyanM
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Late April Trip

Post by RyanM »

Hello, with the lite snow pack this year, do you think Relief Reservoir would make for a good trip the last weekend of April? Thanks
no2haven
Topix Acquainted

Re: Late April Trip

Post by no2haven »

I think its possible, but will really depend on what (if any!) rain/snow falls in March/April. The trail above the reservoir is on slick granite, and cut into the sheer granite face of the reservoir...not really a place I'd like to be if its icy/snowy as there are several places where you wouldn't be able to stop yourself from falling ~100 feet into the reservoir if you slipped. However, that part of the trail is very exposed to the sun and would probably melt quickly. On the other hand, the trail up to the reservoir is on the north side of a pretty steep gorge and likely doesn't get too much sun during the winter/spring.

I'm not sure when the Kennedy Meadows resort opens, but they could probably give you a good sense of the snow conditions there.
strollinbones
Topix Acquainted

Post by strollinbones »

I happened to speak to the good folks at Kennedy this very morning. I couldn't guarantee that they were on-site when they answered the phone, but they are taking calls at least.

The site says they open on the last weekend in April. I'd say give them a call at: (209) 965-3900.

good luck!
Brad
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Very likely. Here's a shot of the area in late april of 2007, the last low snow year, when the road was open to Kennedy Meadows by mid-april; you can just see the Relief shoreline at the bottom of the picture

There was only a little patchy snow on the trail as far as the reservoir. We weren't able to ski until we got up to around 8500 feet.

The rest of the photos from that trip:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1013003274 ... essSki2007#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RyanM
Topix Newbie

Post by RyanM »

Thank you for the great info..

Great photos Paul, thanks for sharing.