Mono Pass short hike; snow report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ranboze
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Mono Pass short hike; snow report

Post by Ranboze »

Took a short hike up to Mono Pass [Mosquito Flat] this morning to check out the snow conditions. Yep; lotsa snow left. The last 0.4 mi was all in snow. Ruby lake has lots of ice still on it.

Trail coming up from Ruby Lake to Mono Pass
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Reminds me of my hike up to Mono Pass in fresh snow in November of last year. Looks about the same, maybe a little less, although I'm sure it's a little slushier than it was in November. Wonder if anybody's been over it this year? :-k
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Wow! What a neat picture. Still can't believe how much snow is still up there.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Thanks for the update on that area. Nice picture.

I'm headed up Pine Creek Trail on the 15th and wondering how much snow I'll be dealing with.
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

wingding wrote:I'm headed up Pine Creek Trail on the 15th and wondering how much snow I'll be dealing with.
I was chatting with a ranger at the WMRS yesterday 7/6/06 about Pine Creek. What I was told is that the bridge at the first water crossing right before Pine lake is under water. The water is running VERY swiftly, and the people who are crossing are finding a spot downstream. If snow's not the problem, the water is. Have chatted with a few PCT and other hikers who say the water in the backcountry is raging; some cross, some fall in, some turn back. Definately worth checking with the WMRS a couple days before departure.

What peaks are you going for???
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Nice photo!

I don't know if the water crossings are like last year, but last year we bailed on a trip at this time because of the snow and water crossings.

Looking North at the Upper Pine Lake crossing, where you normally cross from boulder to boulder: http://community.webshots.com/photo/399 ... 7782XgPqPe
The large boulders were under water.

It was deep and the water was moving fast. We hiked down to lower Pine on the south side, then part way up (the only flat spot we could find to camp). In the morning we found a loose log crossing which was not fun. http://community.webshots.com/photo/405 ... 7782UMFIpW

We came back in Sept to do the trip. Here you can see the boulders. SnowDude is standing on the other side, which is where we would have waded to if we were able to cross: http://community.webshots.com/photo/467 ... 6560gKXNNE

This year we'll take our vacation in Aug instead of early July.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wingding

Post by wingding »

Thanks for the info Raboze and Snow Nymph. The pictures from last year were helpful. I think I'm going to look at a different area for next weekend - further south might be better.
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Mono Pass Photos

Post by Ranboze »

ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Great shots Ranboze, Im going up next Sat, hope to dig out that register no one is finding on Starr. From your pic of Starr looks like a pile of snow at the summit.
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

ridgeline wrote:From your pic of Starr looks like a pile of snow at the summit.
Here's a shot of Mt. Starr from Wheeler Crest on 7/5/06. Yep, it does look like there's some snow sitting on top.