east coast newbs

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: east coast newbs

Post by oleander »

Thinking it over, based on your skill level and your timing I am going to favor North Fork Big Pine Creek over my other suggestions. You can do it in an unhurried 3 days/2 nights, or extend to a fourth day if you want to explore more. You will get to see Palisade Glacier, the southernmost glacier in the U.S. It's at 12,000 feet, but the climb there is gradual, you'll have time to acclimate if you do some day hiking in the days leading up to it, and also on the first night out backpacking you can sleep at approx. 10,000 feet. The final mile to the glacier is x-country, but sounds like you can handle it. The drive to this trailhead will take you down the best of the eastside Highway 395, to the town of Big Pine, so you'll get some great driving scenery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghostrunner76
Topix Newbie

Post by ghostrunner76 »

wow you guys are awesome! i'll take some time to read through the replies this evening. thank you so much and i'll respond to specific questions after i absorb all the info. a lot to consider! thanks!!!!
ScoobyMike
Topix Acquainted

east coast newbs

Post by ScoobyMike »

Are you dead set on Yosemite? I hiked smokey mtns a lot, is that where you are from? The Sierras are big and there are plenty of outstanding places away from the National Park crowds
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I'd just like to second the notion that if you are making the trip out here, you should try and stay longer. These mountains are wonderful and 4 days will go very quickly.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Evaluate whats most important to you. If you dont mind the people go to Yosemite. Yosemite valley is an epic spectacle, and worth the cross country trip.

A backcountry permit allows you to use "backpacker camps" the night before and after the dates on your permit, and is a easier way to score a spot. Leave the car where you can retrieve it the day you leave using the bus system.

You coming all the way across country. You need at least 5 days, but 7 is better to really get a taste of the park.

When in the valley, be hiking just as the sun starts to rise for solitude. Being alone at these places makes a big difference. By noon its like a mall during christmas shopping.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Oleander wrote:
I might take some flak for this, but I do not think Yosemite has particularly outstanding backpacking
I agree with this statement 100%.
The area's south of Yosemite extending from the Ansel Adams Wilderness (AAW) to the
Mono Divide has some of the most diverse areas you'll ever find.
In the Minarets, located in the AAW, you'll find one of the most beautiful sections of
the Sierra Crest, and several classic lakes which will be mention by most folks who are
well traveled if asked "What's your favorite lake in the Sierra?".
SEKI (Sequoia-Kings Canyon) is the epitome of a backpacker's park. It has everything
you could wish for contain within its boarders, without the crowds.
Big mountains, deep canyons, big rivers, beautiful lakes, big meadows full of
wildflowers, great fishing, solitude when off trail or more remote parts (Tehipite
Valley for example) of the park, but you have to backpack in to see all this.
Nothing comes easy, longer distances from the west, and very steep passes from the
east are required by a backpacker to get to these jewels in the backcountry, but
they are well worth the effort!

For you to get any flavor of the these beautiful mountains backpacking, you'll need
at least 6 nights on trail.
Here are 2 Sierra classic's that will give you a taste of some of the best the Sierra
has to offer.

Trip 1: Starting from the Devil's Postpile, and ending at Agnew Meadow.
This trip takes you to into the heart of the Minarets, and visits several of the crown
jewels of the Sierra (Lake Ediza, 1000 Is Lake, Minaret Lake, Iceberg Lake just to
name a few). Would also highly recommend visiting Mono Lake either on the way
to, or the way back to the Reno.

Trip 2: North Lake to South Lake loop via Lamarck Col.
Spend a night at Lamarck Lake to acclimate, then go over the class 2 col into Darwin
Canyon. Follow the JMT through Evolution Basin, LeConte Canyon, and then up to
Dusy Basin, over Bishop Pass, and on to South Lake, where you'll hitch a ride back to
North Lake (should be no problem).

If 4 nights is your max, than Yosemite is where you should probably go.
The idea of staying your second night at the Tuolumne backpackers campground
then hiking down from Sunrise Trailhead is a good one, but you must go via Clouds
Rest, it will be the highlight of your trip.
From the Valley take YARTS, and spend your second night is at Tuolumne, unless
you can get to the Valley early enough to catch YARTS to Tuolumne.
It is about 8 miles to Clouds Rest, and than another 3 miles to the trail junction
where there are some good camping spots, and solitude. The next day is down
the Mist Trail to the Valley.
You could also spend 2 nights in the backcountry, one near/at Sunrise Lake, then over
Clouds Rest the next morning, then on to Little Yosemite Valley for the next evening
from where you'll head up the Panorama Trail to Glacier Point (another classic viewing
point), where you can catch the shuttle back to the Valley.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

maverick wrote:
Oleander wrote:
I might take some flak for this, but I do not think Yosemite has particularly outstanding backpacking
I agree with this statement 100%.
????

Unfortunately, Yosemite's best backpacking is not easily accessible, especially those popular trips mostly done in a brief 2 -3 night hikes. Yosemite does get very crowded near to the Valley and those trails off 120.
Thus, I agree with above and 100% advise everybody to go elsewhere.
Myself, I plan another 60+ days in Yosemite this year - God willing. Hope to do at least five 10-day adventures back high and deep.
BTW, expect much outstanding backpacking and fishing there but I could be wrong...again.
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Ghostrunner..

After reviewing all the responses I have to agree with rogue.... If you have only 3-4 nights treat this trip as a scouting trip and hit the touristy spots, learn the lay of the land and plan your next trip to spend a couple of weeks. Up Lee Vining Canyon and across the Tioga road, down to the Valley and up to Glacier point can provide lots of distant views of Yosemite Backcountry. A trip to Mammoth and up to Minaret Summit can give you an incredible view of the Ritter Range (which you have seen in several commercials on TV.

Personally having limited time I would find it difficult to spend a morning waiting to get a permit for a popular TH and would rather do a car trip with a day hike or two squeezed in (Gaylor and May Lakes already suggested, 20 lakes basin, trips out of Mammoth come to mind) but there are other alternatives to the N and S of Yosemite.

I think most of us familiar with the Sierra are a bit dumbfounded that you would travel from the e. coast and plan to spend only 3-4 nights in the Sierra. Of course we do not know what restrictions you have on your travel time. I think we might also agree that anytime spent anywhere in the Sierra is time well spent. As you can tell by the posts definitions of best places are almost as numerous as the number of posts! Truth is it is all good!

have fun!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think Yosemite DOES have some outstanding backpacking but if I had only one trip to do in the Sierra, that represented the "high Sierra", it would not be in Yosemite. But for those of us who have backpacked in much of the Sierra south of Yosemite, Yosemite offers a lot of new country to see. I do a lot of off-trail travel and it is the little nooks and crannies off the main trails that are the true treasures of Yosemite - Hutchings creek lakes, upper Lyel Fork of the Merced, Stubblefield Canyon, Matterhorn Canyon, Shepherd Lake, McCabe Lake, Cherry Creek to name a few. And the two major canyons- Yosemite Valley and the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne are incomparable. BUT, mid July would not be my choice for these lower elveation trips this year since it looks like a dry year. I actually avoid Yosemite Valley in the summer - too crowded, too polluted, too hot. However, there is NOTHIING like a hike up the Merced River at peak flow in May to early June.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I prefer seki, but to say its better....is a stretch