Color coordinated gear

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Rosabella »

I do look on the sale racks, but the price tag on a piece of clothing/equipment is not the deciding factor for me, unless I truly feel they are comparable. If it's a great price, but doesn't have all the features I want, it's not much of a deal.

I use that reasoning when buying all my gear/cothing and I've never regretted it - two years from now it's not going to matter if I paid full price for something that is truly comfortable, fits my body, easy to use/operate/set up, and that I still love. (and if there are color options that just happen to be black, white, or pink... well that's a bonus :D )
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Rosabella wrote:I do look on the sale racks, but the price tag on a piece of clothing/equipment is not the deciding factor for me, unless I truly feel they are comparable. If it's a great price, but doesn't have all the features I want, it's not much of a deal.

I use that reasoning when buying all my gear/cothing and I've never regretted it - two years from now it's not going to matter if I paid full price for something that is truly comfortable, fits my body, easy to use/operate/set up, and that I still love. (and if there are color options that just happen to be black, white, or pink... well that's a bonus :D )
Clothes: My size is hard to find so I usually pay full price. Right now I'm having trouble with hiking boots. The smallest they make is size 6 (I wear 5), and I don't like buying online because I can't try it on. I bought trailrunners and had to return. For a few years my $225 Raichle Mountain Trekkers were on sale at Sierra Trading Post for ~$65 so I bought 3 pr (did this a few times). I know I have at least 2 pr somewhere in the garage, but can't find them. I tried using a 5.5, and my heel kept slipping out (in patchy snow) and it was miserable. I tried a kids 3 (when I forgot my boots at home and had to buy what was available in Visalia) and my ankle hurt for a month after (3 days with a full pack and no ankle support). So if I can find something that fits I'll pay the price.

Purple/black Kelty Flight pack
Sky blue/Grey Warmlite tent (got to pick colors, 2.lb 13 oz)
Blue/black Marmot Pinnacle sleeping bag
Pink/black SD Elle sleeping bag (womens bag, came in Short)
Orange/grey sleeping pad
Rain Jackets (4) : red, blue, purple, black (black was from online sale)
Rain Pants (a few): black
Hiking poles (2 sets): One Black set and one Red set
Sling-light chair (2): blue and green

my colors: purple, black, red, teal (but not all together)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wingding

Post by wingding »

Snow Nymph -

Have you tried any of the La Sportiva Boots? They go down to a 36, which might be a US Women's size 5. I wear a 7.5 and the size convertor said to buy a 39, but it was too small and the 39.5 fits good on the Women's Nepal EVO GTX mountaineering boots. I've order a pair of the lighter Women's Trango S EVO GTX boots because I like the heavy Nepal's, but they're just too heavy and warm for summer in the Sierra.

I think REI carries some of their boots - you could always order a pair and have them delivered to the store. Then you could go in and try them on and take them home if they fit or leave them if they don't fit.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Thanks, WD

I guess I should try that. I spent an hour trying on boots (size 6), and the guy said they could order it in size 5. I got to the check-out, and they said it doesn't come in size 5. :angry: So I was frustrated. I will have to order online and take what I can get. Maybe when I find time to go back I'll make sure they have size 5.

What do the size 5 people do now that they don't carry size 5???? I tried kids boots and there's no support for what I do. :(
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;