Meeting people in the backcountry

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I was on the second week of a vacation in Desolation Wilderness, just a few days left. As I was making my way down the north side of Dicks Pass down to Dicks Lake one morning, I met a couple, out to bag Dicks Peak. We talked briefly and before we left I sold one of my flies to the guy. That afternoon, late, he started catching fish using my used fly and I caught a few also. His girlfriend invited me over for a gourmet dinner which I accepted. Excellent meal and conversation, seems there family had a cabin at Tahoe where they were staying for a bit. I stayed too late and my dog and I had to make our way to our tent on the other side of the outlet. It was pitch black out and I had to hold the dogs collar to help guide me. We had to cross the rocky dam across the outlet and another 100' to our campsite. We made it across the dam, but then I stumbled and lost my hold on Precious. I couldn't get her to come because we were close to the tent and she was ready to hit the hay I guess. I took a bunch of tentative steps and finally made out a light colored object. Made it.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Edited automatically I see. The lake and pass bleeped out has a D, then you add an ick. See if that works.
yosemitechris
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by yosemitechris »

In the summer of 2002, when my son, Will, and I were midway through our second JMT hike. We stopped at the confluence of the Middle Fork Kings River and Palisade Creek to rest. We met a fellow there completing a weeklong crosscountry backpack. He said "are you Will? Are you Chris?" We answered "Yes". Like - how do you know that? He had recognized from our website jmt2k.com. We talked for quite a while and exchanged email addresses. We still keep in contact occasionally. He was cool.

Chris
coasterjim
Topix Novice

Post by coasterjim »

markskor wrote:“Dude, good luck…and…, Have you ever been in a sweat lodge...I think I am gonna make one for us tonight.” (Whatever that was…)
This is classic! This guy should be on Survivor :lol:
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

I am often out solo and enjoy seeing others - seems people get friendlier the further away we are from the trail head.

The first time I went cross country in Kings Canyon I was scrambling up some rocks at the upper end of Sphinx Creek when I looked up and saw someone coming down. Not wanting to startle the other guy, I stood still until he was sure footed and just above me. Now in my mind at the time I was r-e-a-l-l-y out in the the backcountry so I was surprised to see anyone (I know better now). Anyway, we had a nice chat on that upper headwall and exchanged some route info.

The next day I posted a message about this "nice chap" and my trip on the Yahoo group 'californiahighsierra'. Later that evening there was a reply fro the board moderator (Dan) who said "Hi Shawn, I'm that nice chap you met". What are the odds I thought.

Sure hope to meet some of you in the mounatins!
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Couple years ago we had done a multi day trip and had been off trail for days. We just popped out on the trail and were headed up Forester about 7am when this guy came down and was walking past us. I looked at him and he at me and we both puzzled a minute before realizing we used to work together 10 years ago!!! Was pretty cool, great to see him again. Who woulda guessed we'd meet there tho!
dee
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

I discovered the Sierra and photography at the same time and just developed the habit of traveling solo. With all the torment I go through in trip planning, there is no better feeling than locking up the car, putting on the pack, double checking the car, then letting go and stepping into the trail. I sort of hear a voice saying ”were in”, from that point on it’s a unique awareness of blending in and antiapating what is not yet seen. It’s always interesting meeting people in the backcountry; a welcomed pause to echo the appreciation of being there, those encounters stick with me along the way. I would guess many of us have met without knowing it. On a trip to Ediza lake, I ran into a couple with 2 big dogs near Shadow Lake, I must have been complaining about my pack weight, they handed me the leash and let one of the dogs pulled up the hill. After seeing Buck’s wedding pictures, I think that was the Buck’s.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I've backpacked many years in the Sierra as a photographer. I prefer backpacking with a few friends however not having anyone along has never stopped me from going solo and creating my own great time. And when solo I always enjoy running into people who have a knack to yack. Especially those who have a lot to say about the mountain environment and places. Sometimes I will meet such people around places I am camping at and we will talk at length. On the trail one often passes others that are ready for a rest stop and I am usually game for a bit of conversation as long as I am not stressed from a difficult climb. Fishermen of course like to trade stories of how the fishing has been in such and such lakes and what they saw and caught. Bear stories are what grabs the top interest of everyone else. And I'm always keen to engage backcountry rangers in a long conversation if possible. A great way to do that is to start by talking about how one has been breaking up a bunch of fire rings which is something I regularly do. They always can provide interesting information on how people are treating the wilderness and their experiences with those they meet which is something I have endless interest in. And climbers often give me great clues about passage over difficult obscure routes over ridges near their peaks. Nothing like a good conversation about how horribly monstrous the talus was the way I passed high above Goethe Lake...

...David
coasterjim
Topix Novice

Pancakes anyone?

Post by coasterjim »

I was thru-hiking the JMT two summers ago with a fellow. He had hiked most of the JMT at various times and wanted to do it all in the same season. He told me a story of when he was ascending one of the passes (I think it was Mather). His group was approaching the pass when they smelled pancakes. A little further up, there was a fellow who was set up on the side of the trail cooking pancakes for all hikers. The man was apparently on a sabatical/mission and decided to hike to the top of a 10K' pass and make 1000 pancakes, complete with various flavored syrups and cold orange juice for anyone who wanted them. He had the grill, batter, juice and whatnot packed-in. That would definately make my day!

Anyone else here run into this guy?

Jim
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Only in my dreams!
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"