Ranger Station Lottery (fiction)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ranger Station Lottery (fiction)

Post by maverick »

If SEKI were to have a lottery that gave the winner a choice to stay in one of their
ranger stations from 1 Aug thru the 15th of Sept, which one would you choose, and
why? You can only choose one.
They would transport all your gear, and food in, which of coarse you would be
responsible to purchase.

These are the stations that would be made available for this lottery:
Kern, Crabtree, Tydall, 5 Little Lakes, Charlotte Lake, Rae Lakes, Pear Lake, Bench
Lake/Jmt Junction, Roaring River, LeConte, Evolution Valley (McClure Meadow).

Making this decision is very difficult, the Tydall, McClure, Bench, and LeConte stations
would give me access to multiple locations of interest. Would have to choose McClure
because of the access to the northern parts of SEKI, and to area's of interest right outside
the northern western, and eastern, boundaries of SEKI.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Ranger Station Lottery (fiction)

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Hmnnnnnn. All great choices, but being primarily a fishing backpacker I would also select McClure. Lots of good fishing destinations in fairly close proximity. Plus, your base camp is in Evolution Valley. Enough said!!!!. Bench Lk/JMT wouldn't be all that bad either. I like this kind of lottery :D .
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Roaring river is central to some beautiful areas, but not real scenic where it sits. Havnt explored kings canyon much, but I imagine bench lake would make me happy
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I'd choose Tyndall because the Upper Kern is an area that I have not explored extensively (fished only one lake) and it is a little off the PCT/Muir Trail.

The most comfortable station by far is Roaring River. It has an indoor shower and flush toilet, refrigerator to keep your beer cold (and, when the freezer is low, ice for margaritas), a great wood cooking stove with oven, a well paddded couch (that I built and then packed in the pads the next season), and a separate bedroom (my wife and I slept outside in a tent (with a great mattress setup) and the kids slept in the station). I spent 7 seasons there and life was as good as it gets. As sparky said not the most scenic station but the huge Jeffry Pines and the sound of the river, and view of palmer made life "bearable." One could travel in 5 different directions from the station and there were two loops that I could patrol without backtracking at all. Lots of "off trail" stuff in Sugarloaf valley and lower Roaring River, the Great western divide and at the head of Cloud, Deadman, and the Fergusons. Never, ever got bored!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

oldranger wrote:
It has an indoor shower and flush toilet, refrigerator to keep your beer cold
(and, when the freezer is low, ice for margaritas), a great wood cooking stove
with oven, a well paddded couch (that I built and then packed in the pads the
next season), and a separate bedroom (my wife and I slept outside in a tent
(with a great mattress setup) and the kids slept in the station).
Yeah, that sure does sound comfy!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Bench Lake/JMT Junction. The area between Palisade Lakes below Mather Pass and the unnamed lakes just beyond Pinchot Pass is my favorite area of the Sierra and there would be opportunity for side trips to Lakes Basin.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Is Simpson Meadow gone? Or was that not really a ranger station?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Tom,

George probably knows best but I think it has not been manned/wommaned lately. The structure itself is little more than a storage shed. Hot place to be based out of.

Mike

By the way Rae Lakes has a brand new rangerstation, prefab and flown in. I think George did the NEPA that led the superintendant to conclude that the replacement of the old tent platform with a new Cabin would have no significant impact on the natural or social environment.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

oldranger wrote:Rae Lakes has a brand new rangerstation, prefab and flown in. I think George did the NEPA that led the superintendant to conclude that the replacement of the old tent platform with a new Cabin would have no significant impact on the natural or social environment.
The Rae Lakes ranger station in a morning few days after an early October snow storm last year.
IMG_4252-ranger-station-small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

heh, heh, heh. What a great thread. Keep it up!

Incidentally, I'd be careful of Roaring River. I think the refrigerator is still producing CO -- the ranger and her son almost died there two years ago and the refrig. -- as far as I know -- has not been replaced.

When we designed a porch onto Rae, we were worried that people would end up camping on it! Great photo and confirmation. Glad it wasn't there after the end of a long ranger patrol... .

g.