Winter?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Winter?

Post by oldranger »

Yesterday I did my first urban hike of the year in shorts and shortsleve shirt. 62°! This AM 2" of snow.
Hope some of this new winter stuff heads s.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Timberline
Topix Regular

Re: Winter?

Post by Timberline »

Hi, Mike! Where did your "urban hike" take you? As my wife and I are contemplating relocation to the Bend area, we're trying to imagine what options you find in urban Bend (we know about the abundant "rural" hike alternatives available around there). Just curious.
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Winter?

Post by oldranger »

Timberline,

We did the obvious one yesterday, Pilot Butte. 490' of vertical in .9 mile by trail and about 1 by road. Now hiking with 22 lb pack, next month up to 26 or so and 30 in April. There are also trails that parallel the river n and s of Town. One is a really nice 3 mile loop to the s. These are our 3 primary hikes when we don't want to drive much. There are also a bunch of "suburban" hikes within 10 to 30 miles. Check some of my past posts in this forum.

Also the roads this morning were a blast! We were driving down the road pulling a load of firewood when a van and a suburban began spinning in front of us. We slowed down and stopped with no problem because the car immediately in front of us stopped. I (in the passenger seat) quickly turned around to see if we were in danger of getting slammed and the van behind us was sideways. We saw another car in a ditch and another spinning later in the morning. Too many California drivers up here! :D (offense intended :littledevil: )

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!