Pine Creek Roadend trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Pine Creek Roadend trip

Post by whrdafamI? »

Kpeter, yep that was the spot! Last year when I attempted this crossing it looked deeper. I, unfortunately it seems, went upstream around 10 ft. or so as it "looked" like a good idea that day. I had my water shoes on and ventured forward. About half way across I was going down. My boots were tied together and hung around my neck. I took one of them to the face and ended up with a righteous nose bleed and 1 less trekking pole. I am just not quite as agile as I used to be.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

It appears that not too many have made this loop.

quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I actually have done this loop, except cutting through Bear Lakes Basin and with an unfortunate detour to Muir Ranch hot springs. It was a trip with a companion from hell, so that colors my view of it. I love Granite Park and Bear Lakes basin, but I'm not too crazy about most of the route after that point. But definitely check out Marie Lake -- just off the JMT before Seldon -- and the Puppet Lake area is great, as mentioned by kpeter.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Bill, are you planning on taking the Italy Lake trail all the way to the PCT or heading through Bear Lakes/Seven Gables Lakes? At the least I can share that the upper reaches of Seven Gables Lakes are amazing. Here's a terrible scan of that area.
Seven_Gables4_MWR_SAH.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

CDM and Quentin, there seems to be a few options once we are over Italy Pass. Initially I thought that this would be quite the trip but its funny how opinions vary. I will have to run all of this by the rest of our group, "Loose Cannons", to see how they feel. I have people coming down from various parts of Oregon and So. California so I want this trip plan to be somewhat firm before hitting the trail.

Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I'm planning on doing a loop out of Piute that follows part of the SHR to the Bear lakes region. Like you, I had first considered exiting @ Pine Crk, but then I hate the $ and time/energy required in dealing with a shuttle.

I guess that's why I always try & figure out some kind of loop/lollipop; by going out of Piute, it's actually more of a lollipop. I'll go over Puppet pass, then Feather, Italy & Pine Creek, before heading back once more over Puppet/Piute & out.

Total mileage is around 40-45 miles which fits nicely with my standard 3 night/4 day outing + plenty of fishing.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Hobbes

I faintly remember when I could travel that far in that much time and still have time to fish.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!