Ridge Lines / Crests, and Peaks

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ridge Lines / Crests, and Peaks

Post by maverick »

We have discussed the prettiest lakes before, and currently are the most remote
lakes of the Sierra.
But the Sierra is also about granite, metamorphic rock that is the foundation of this
beautiful range.
With this in mind, think about pieces of granite or any other rock, in the form of
a ridge, mountain, crest, or dome that is your favorite in the Sierra back country.
Here are some example, though most of you probably all already have your favorites
from the many years spent in the back country.

Sawtooth Ridge, Minaret Range, Ridge from Mt LeConte to Peak 4141 in Miter, Kaweah
Ridge, Devil's Craigs, Kearsarge Pinnacles, Palisade Crest, and for peaks, Red & White
Mountain, Matthes Crest, Matterhorn Peak, Picture Peak, North Palisade, Temple Crag
Split Mnt, Tehipite Dome, North Guard to name just a very few.

Personally for me the 3 most unique places are the Devil's Craigs, Minarets, and
Kaweah Ridge. Each have qualities that lift them above most other areas.
One cannot talk about the most uniquely shaped pieces of granite in the Sierra without
including the Devil's Crags. It truly looks like a set of sharks teeth, especially viewed
from the Observation Lakes Basin from where it really shines at its best. One wonders
how these formation could not only take on there unique shapes, but also line up in a
descending fashion as do.
Then there is the ridge line composed of dark metamorphic rock, some of the earliest
rock of the Sierra in the Kaweah Ridge. Extending from Kaweah Queen, Black Kaweah
Red Kaweah, Second Kaweah, and ending with Mount Kaweah, this range is spectacular
either from the west or the east, sunrise or moon glow from the east, and sunset
from the west with its alpenglow are all truly amazing.
Minarets are the Minarets with there sheer, rugged metamorphic walls, and extreme
jagged teeth like pinnacles.The views up close and personal, either from the east or
west, make them one of the finest ridge lines the Sierra has to offer.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Ridge Lines / Crests, and Peaks

Post by mokelumnekid »

Great topic Mav! I'm not so crazy about the metamorphic rock as you are because the stuff is sometimes crazy loose. But it is scenic as can be. I'll put Matthes Crest as my favorite romp, tho I still have to do the southern-most bit.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Im not heavily traveled in the sierra, but the ridgeling south of pterodactyl pass is awesome.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

My favorite view of a peak has to be Mt Humphries from Humphries basin - it has a dramatic shape and stands alone rather than being part of a crest. The Palisades from the Palisade Glacier is a spectacular ridge. Arrow peak from bench lake, East face of Mt Whitney (favorite for climbing), Mt Banner from 1000 island lake, The minarets are all inspiring views
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Let those who know keep sealed lips...

click to enlarge
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Oh man!! Far too many to even get my head around. Here's one I happen to have a pic of. It' the ridge line from Hell For Sure Pass, rising south to peak 11,837, then onward, down the ridge
hisierra3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

I'll bite, even though I have not been as many places in the Sierra as others.

Convict Canyon stands out to me, but it's tough to capture that one properly on Camera.

Here's some of my pics from Pine Creek and Royce. You get some of the best on this trip up to the heavens.

Brown stiped by the lower lake:

this was a glorious morning in the range of light. This half lit face of Royce Peak caught my eye:

there is something sublime about these crumbling spires, especially all painted with morning light

The Minarets always inspire

The Face of Clyde, ominous in the sunlight, the pic simply cannot relate the scale of the thing.

i got some more I will have to dig up. But I don't think there is a place in the Sierra that has not awed me in several ways. Even what might seem like a small ridge or formation is cause for stopping to think. How did that thing rise up like that?? How many thousands of years did the glacier take to cut and polish that face?? How is all this possible??
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

A few random favorites of mine...

Tehipite Dome, of course:

The Incredible Hulk, above Little Slide Canyon:

And the Ritter Range is just as spectacular from the west:
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Finger col, just awesome!
hisierra2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Most will not agree, but in spite of the crowds, popularity, ease of access, regulations, permits, etc, the Sierra crest Whitney to Muir is spectacular. I have climbed the East Face and East Ridge of Whitney, with the spectacular Keeler Needles in view. The granite is clean, light colored, offering wonderful sunrise glows.

I am a "granite" person. I love the way the light rock reflects morning and evening colors and presents a bright and cheery environment. Yes, it is geologically boring compared to the metamorphics. I just do not like dark rock - it kind of depresses me. Plus as a rock climber, I prefer "good rock". Really hate that crumbly stuff.

Another nice granitic crest is Sawtooth Ridge out of Bridgeport. Not nearly as high or as much length of cliffs, but very nice.

The Palisades are also nice although a bit darker rock. The outlet of Barrett Lake is a great place to view this wonderful ridge from the west. I have done all the climbs- different nature than east faces on Whitney area. From the east, you get to see the glaciers. Temple Crag just might be second favorite mountain.

Of all the "dark rock" ridges, I think the Minarettes are the most spectacular.

Are we going to have a rule that you have to have climbed up onto the peak or ridge for it to qualify? After all, we cannot win the "lake" prize unless we have camped at it! I will vote for being more democratic only requiring camping below the feature.