Water pH / quality in Sierra Nevada streams / springs / lak

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Water pH / quality in Sierra Nevada streams / springs / lak

Post by maverick »

Markskor wrote:
Like I said intrigued - Post a trail report afterwards please.
Me too, and please do.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I just feel this topic is more to bait and call for attention. You are going to rely on what randoms from the internet tell you about ph levels of the water you will sustain yourself with?

Just sitting here in my chair I would imagine you will be testing and altering your water as needed? I am just trying to wrap my head around a few people saying "yeah, youre good" then you skip naked into the sunset with no food. Perhaps im simply missing the point of posing the question here...... wouldnt be the first time.

I am about as open minded as one can be, and i say do what you feel. You claim to have done this before. I have been in snow without sunglasses for days and it wasnt a big deal. Could be a combination of luck and other things, but this sounds pretty reckless as well. How much UV loss will there be if you decide to wear shades? The eyes absorb more UV than skin? Will the risk outweigh the reward?
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Im curious, where are you from?

Edit: i see you would like to leave the papers/chemicals at home. I think this is a very bad idea. What kind of buffer zone do you have with ph? You have to imagine multi week trips, your water will have variations. I would think it vital for it to stay in balance.

Tell us about past trips doing this?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

So, you are soooooooo concerned about pH but not at all concerned that you will be depriving the chemical processes in your body of nutrients to keep them running so you will think rationally, be warm and have energy for the amount of work you expect your body to do.

You think that UV is no problem. I had cataract surgery in my early 30s because I did not wear sunglasses. You can bet that I wear them now. If you neglect your sunglasses in high open granite and snowfields, you WILL GO BLIND. A friend of mine figured that out as she started squinting and getting headaches while we were hiking high. People have gone blind before in the high country. Burning your retinas is not conducive to your safe return.

Letting your energies deplete will lead to your getting cold at night and more prone to hypothermia. The body will start to consume muscle mass and break itself down - that is a fact.

You should fast at home for a week. Then pick up the backpack and hike for a few miles, and see how you do. Same principle as testing gear. Then sleep out in the back yard to see how well you do at keeping yourself warm.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

When it comes to alternative ideas, I say: to each his own, but I'm sensing a troll here, not real sincerity...
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

I like food. I love to eat.

That is all.
fourputt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by fourputt »

In this case it's hard to tell a troll from a ... whatever.

"God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural fluids."

- General Jack D. Ripper
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Fly Guy Dave wrote:When it comes to alternative ideas, I say: to each his own, but I'm sensing a troll here, not real sincerity...
That's my thought... but then again, someone has to make those 'Darwin Award' lists. :D
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
intrek38
Topix Acquainted

Post by intrek38 »

Sorry, I just can't resist...
All_American_Burgers.ashx.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
circusoflife
Topix Acquainted

Post by circusoflife »

Umm...if one saw my prior / recent posts...I think that eliminates the idea of a troll...

Thanks for the additional comments on water pH.

Haven't responded.. because I've noticed no one has commented about the documentaries.... anyway... ignorance/fear of unknown is your loss.

As for experience...well what has my life been about:

- Traveled to 70-75 countries in my life (The longest ones were RTW / Round the World trips of 5 & 7 months - solo) - all 6 continents except Antarctica. Easy countries (Europe) and "harder" ones where few (western) travelers go...in 2010 went to Iran for example. Along with Jordan & Bahrain, and a return trip to UAE...but those latter 3 are easy...although few travelers go to Bahrain.

- 3 month X-country drive around the USA, put in about 12,000+ miles and made a big X...
some drive days were 500+ miles...

- Visited about ~145 UN World Heritage Sites and many more not classified as such.

- Hiked all over the world.

- Seen about 40+ documentaries on food/water/light/plastic/EMF energy alone, both popular (Like Food, Inc, Forks and Knives - 2011 documentary with already 200+ reviews on Amazon) to obscure ones about light and water, where I wrote either one of only a few reviews. Read hundreds of books...Have written about 55 reviews on Amazon about things I've seen, 83% helpful rating - 836/1008 votes or so.

But I won't post any of those documentaries, because apparently, nobody here wants to click and even watch a few minutes...too eager to respond as a knee-jerk reaction -- which I wrote / warned about.

- Scuba dived in 12 or so countries - 125+ dives...from easy dives to fast current drift dives to beautiful coral gardens and shipwrecks. All over the Philippines, Palau to the Galapagos Islands, Red Sea, Maldives, Thailand, and on and on....

I have experience going & doing different things. Both theoretically/academically and on the ground. For this upcoming SN venture, consciously it will be the result of at least the last 6+ years of effort, unconsciously -- 10 years, really my whole life -- in my late 30s now. Actually...going far beyond what I described, but nobody here is ready to hear that. And the final steps won't take place in the SN...some far away islands for that.

- Have a UW Business degree, but a technology background (Using computers since the Apple II+ days, probably even earlier with some small TI/Radio Shack models), and was a corporate slave for a while, had my own business before that, nothing big or fancy... but have realized learning in the real world without titles and boundaries and beyond the confines of "normal life" is much more powerful.... also technology is just a tool -- not a way of life...

...and have built a website organizing many of the things I've learned (And videos), but that really isn't important nor helpful, because if watching a few documentaries is difficult...there is no point in navigating to that.

If anyone here does want links to BBC, Discovery Channel, History Channel, Indie video clips (On Youtube) on many hidden powers of our own human body...well....I'm game for that. I may take a while to respond though because I am in the process of moving back to the USA from Medellin, Colombia (Base for the last 5 years)

-- While I can't say I won't run into problems (Thanks for the offers of help!), what I described above about my life can speak for itself. When I quit my last corporate job in SoCal (OC) ~10 years ago to go traveling and see for my own eyes the reality of our world/existence -- I told my father/self (Mother died from cancer...and that changed my view of life & death) that I wondered if I would even survive my planned travels / change of life plan. Well...I have...and soon I won't just be surviving...but thriving like never before.... but that is a story you will have to see in person if we ever meet....

Cheers
Last edited by circusoflife on Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.