Putting together a new kit

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Putting together a new kit

Post by AlmostThere »

Thanks for the tips on the Lost Coast - additional support for my decision. When I go I will probably do the whole way, the King Range and Sinkyone - it's going to be a rare thing to get that far north, for me.

I didn't mention the other shelter I have, one of the original tyvek Sublites - I used to take that to the coast because the tyvek was so wonderful about handling condensation, which is horrible in redwoods in traditional tents, but I never got a drop in the Sublite. And then one campout a Pacific rainstorm blew in, dumped several inches of rain within four hours, and drowned my little Sublite completely - before I left it, drips were coming in the top seam. When I got out to take it down the following morning it was absolutely full of water, the bathtub floor was at least an inch deep and the tyvek soaked through and heavier than heck. I bailed out to the car after the first drop hit my forehead and spent the night with my down quilt wrapped around me, watching the rain stream down my windshield and the lights going on in the tents of the other campers who were having leaks right and left in their tents. A texsport tent also bit the mud, drowned the occupant's sleeping bag and clothing, and she ended up in my car too. The last tents standing as "dawn" broke and the rain continued were an REI Half Dome and a Black Diamond - everyone else was varying degrees of wet.

So I have a Sierra Designs tent with a PU coated fly now, for those crazy coastal rainy trips. The silnylon version of the Sublite came later when a friend sold his to me used - they haven't had the sil version in stock much over the last few years. And now there is the Notch which looks like a nice tent as well. Ah, well.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Putting together a new kit

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My conclusion after doing the Lost Coast was that staying dry was a lost cause. Just keep one set of clothing dry for sleeping. I ended up simply hiking in my rainclothes, au-natural underneath! I doubt the temperature changed more than 5-degrees between day and night. I had a mid-weight wool sweater and wool long johns that were perfect inside my sleeping bag. One night I got 4 inches of rain! I was expecting slower travel on the beach, but surprised myself by making up to 15 miles one day walking on the wet sand at low tide. The entire key in this is to walk at low tide. On the other hand, I was totally surprised at how slow the trail section was. The trail was in really poor shape when I did it and I had lots of rain. I also failed to hitch a ride up the road so had to walk all of it (probably because it a weekday and pouring rain and nobody was out driving about). I stashed food at the grocery store before the trip and picked it up. The owners were really nice about doing that for me. You cannot mail to the PO because it is nowhere near Shelter Cove. I had to get my permit anyway at the BLM office, which means driving nearly to Shelter Cove. The ranger at the Needle Rock visitor center was really nice- it was pouring down rain and she let me bring my sleeping bag inside her cabin and dry it by her fire. Be aware that the trail is not always located where it is marked on the map. It is pretty easy to follow, though. There is one area near private property with a VERY nasty dog. Thankfully the dog was tied. I ran into several huge elk and two bears and tons of banana slugs on the trail. There is a reason for the bear cannister rule! If you want to see some real local characters, stop at Honeydew on your way in! On the first day on the route, I was offered a smoke by marajuana growers! Everyone was really laid back. This are is like SantaCruz x 10! The campground at Shelter Cove is very pricey, but they have good showers.