The least visited lake.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: The least visited lake.

Post by SSSdave »

Those posting ought to provide topo map links, else it will often be difficult to understand where one is talking about given terse descriptions.

Here are three no names on one map area:

In the Rancheria Creek drainage of Yosemite, a no name lake WL 7029, no name lake WL 7417 a mile northeast, and one mile north north west of the latter the lake at 7040+. 7029 may be a never visited body of water as it is obviously most remote.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.99407,-119.62867&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The no name lake at 10480+ in the basin north below point 11163. The lake Tom mentioned is just over the ridge northeast. Reaching the lake with climbing down class 3 steeps would require access by climbing up from far below at the South Fork of the San Joaquin River on the non-trail side of the river usually too big to cross even late season.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.19889,-118.83898&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These 3 no name lakes in the basin south of point 11151 and lake at 10440+ just south:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.01109,-118.55810&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

The lakes west of the Observation Peak Lakes Basin, the one that contains the
3 decent size lakes, and all under 11,000 ft are all remote enough, but then
there is one more lake that is on the other side of the ridge with a pass over it
which leads down to this lake at 10500 ft that sits on a bench way above Cartridge
Creek.
No one has visited this lake because of the climb, no fish, and the extremely
remote location.
It is a very steep 3000 foot climb from Cartridge Creek, the time involved hiking
from the Observation Basin area or from hiking up the creek from the Middle Fork
Kings to the basin containing the 3 lakes, from where one would continue over
the pass to the lake makes it off the map for even the most adventurous.
My belief is that this may actually be one of the most remote lakes in the Sierra.

Anyone can say they have visited any certain area, but show "your" photo of
it, otherwise blah, blah, blah. How else can there be a winner? No photo, no
proof of visitation.
I have visited a lot of these places mention above in previous posts, but since most
of these were visited during my film days, and all of my negatives were discarded
accidentally several years ago during a move, there is no evidence which I can present
of me actually being there, so I won't bother.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Maverick, the 3 large lakes west of Observation Peak can likely be reached from the Dumbell Lakes via what looks like an easy saddle just west of the peak. However Dumbell Lakes basin takes some days to reach iteself. As for your,

"on the other side of the ridge with a pass over itwhich leads down to this lake at 10500 ft that sits on a bench way above CartridgeCreek."

Seems you are referring to the same lake as the bottom of my post just south of 11151? Check my link. Indeed that is the most work and most remote in the group.

For the photographer the most interesting lake in those basins west of Observation are the two no name lake at 10600+ on a shelf just southwest of lake 10565. The south lake in particular may provide an excellent unblocked sunset and dusk view of the southern section of Black Divide including Devil's Crags.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi SSSDave

There is a class 2-3 pass http://WildernessApertures.com/img/s11/ ... 5717-6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which comes into OPB from the southern end of Dumbbell Basin, the southern side
is the class 3 side.
The views from this area towards DC are truly outstanding, one just need the right
conditions, and no big fires like what I had the last time visiting the area.
http://WildernessApertures.com/img/s11/ ... 1327-6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unfortunately the solo lake at 10500 does not seem to have a great view towards the
west, but the thought of visiting a lake that no one has seen does intrigue my inner
Muir.
The next time visiting this place will head up just east of the Devil's Washbowl
where Observation Creek meets the MFK, and will take the branch leading up to the
3 lakes.
By the way SSSDave, ever check your PM's, sent you one during the holidays. :D

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

was not as tired as you probably were in reaching that spot... :)
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

SSSdave

I don't think you've ever posted a pic with so much out of focus! :D a really funny post! :thumbsup:

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You asked for photos, so here they are.

Lake at 10600 ne of Finger Peak, I camped here.

Little Moccasin- camped at Big Moccasin, a stone's throw away

Big Moccasin camp- also hiked to all the more remote upper lakes

Big Chief camp- also hiked to all the more remote upper lakes in the drainage

Unnamed Lake on Glacier Divide, west side (facing Deadman Canyon)- hiked there but did not camp

Lake on bench below Gray Pass (I did not actually go down there)

Lake on bench east of Tunamah- hiked there but did not camp

Lake 10232 in Goddard Creek- I camped at the small lower one about a mile below this lake (did not have a camera on that trip)
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks WD, fine images of no name lakes I've never seen up close but have wondered about for decades staring at my topos. Have looked down there from a Goddard climb. Always wanted to visit those lakes at the headwaters of the southern Goddard Creek.

More pics folks or at least topo links.

Recently bought a plustek Optic Film 7600 film scanner so might dig out some old 35mm Kodachromes showing remote no name lakes out of my pile of old slide boxes.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

WD

I once got picked up by a Navy Huey from just to the right of the waterfall in the pic of the Lake on the W side of Glacier Ridge. Had just completed a rescue and was able to hitch a ride down to Roaring River. That lake basin is one of my favorites in the Sierra, surprisingly so since there are no fish. But because of that there is little sign of camping since most people just pass thru on there way to Josephine or after fishing Josephine (not worth the work for fish alone). The basin is close to pristine as it gets but there may be an oxygen bottle someplace in the basin as the crew said one rolled out of the helicopter when flying over the basin.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Really like that Google image SSSDave, how about one from Lake 10500, it would
be interesting to see how expansive the view is towards the west or is mainly of
the Windy Peak and Dead Pine Ridge area.
Well WD eliminated quite quite a few of the lakes, cool photo's, only have not visited
the lakes east of Tunamah, and like you, did not camp at the lake below Gray Pass, but
did hike to the end of that ridge above it in your photo to take a picture from the over
look.