What is your route planning like?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: What is your route planning like?

Post by SSSdave »

These days my important trips are highly planned. Often they go off like clock work exactly as I expect. A serious mountain landscape photographer wants to find the best images possible. Once probabilities for such are located, one has to figure out how to be at those locations during the narrow windows each day of best light. Often is the situation of never having visited a place and only having analyzed a topo map of the perspective. Of course today one can look at Google Earth some too. In any case it is not a matter of arriving at a new location and immediately setting utripod to take a picture. No I often am scurrying about the terrain quickly looking for foregrounds and best perspectives. Sometimes will see something on a lakeshore then race 100 yards down the shore to something else only to return a minute later. So in my planning is time to figure out where to shoot from.

If one has a few prospective spots to shoot from, then the need to make a careful plan, often a circuit of where to be when. For instance one trip I have this year requires we get up at 5am, pack up gear quickly, hike a half mile up 500 feet to cross a ridge, then down 800 feet, rambled a couple miles, in order to hopefully reach some small ponds by 8am prime time. Then dally for an hour or so before continuing on 2 miles to reach my prospective camp area near a another lake that has best light from about 5pm to dusk. After making camp there late morning, we will relax, fish, make lunch. Then about 3pm I will climb up several hundred feet to reach about 4pm a perspective on a large panorama of benches, lakes, peaks. There I hope expose a sheet of film and then quickly ramble back to our camp zone to start working that area by 5:30pm. And at the end of the day have the choice of shooting across the lake east southeastward towards the rising night wedge or to run across to the other side of the lake and shoot the setting dusk sky. So lots of planning with many options depending on weather and conditions.

Not too uncommon is the situation of shooting sunset light, rambling back to camp in dusk light where at midday I had packed up my gear into a 90% ready to go pack that is leaning against a tree trunk. Then will shove my camera gear into the pack, put on my headlamp, and stumble out towards some destination to camp at in the dark a mile or two away that I have planned to shoot at dawn or sunrise.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I hardly plan at all. There, someone had to say it. :)

I always have at least a rough itinerary in mind, but I often change my mind part-way through. Once I went over Lamarck Col, with the idea of eventually ending up at South Lake. After climbing Mt. Spencer, I decided to head the other way on the JMT, and ended up back at North Lake via Gemini, Feather and Puppet Passes. It was one of my favorite trips. Most of my trips are solo, and I never reserve permits in advance, so I don't even do that part of the planning. There's nothing like the freedom of the wilderness.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

WE start with a basic number of days that we can spend...and a general route of where we want to go.

And then we improvise, based on conditions, attitude, etc.

But that doesn't mean I don't spend hours researching the possibilities. I love to know about the options we have, and that helps us make better decisions out on the trail.

That said, I can't remember a single trip that went exactly the way we "planned" it.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Half of the fun for me is in the planning. Sitting down on a cold January night with a beer, TOPO, Secor, paper maps, and Google is one of my favorite things to do. I'll eventually nail down a trip and then dig into the details - routes, campsites, googling pics of sketchy passes or routes up peaks, alternates, fishing opportunities, exploration opportunities, partners, permits, packing lists, etc. I've virtually hiked and climbed every step of the trip before the snow has melted and I've packed up my backpack. Some people hate that kind of stuff, but I love it; it gets me in that Sierra state of mind in the off season.

That said, once I'm on the trail I'm flexible. I think that one advantage of the detailed planning is that it's easy to make changes if I know what's out there. It reduces stress when things *don't* go according to plan. Last year we got turned around at Cartridge Pass due to the heavy snow and had to bail on Lakes Basin. No problem - circled back up to Upper Basin and climbed Split. No second thoughts - I knew the distances and time it would take us to get there and do the stuff we wanted to do, and it mapped perfectly to the time we had set aside for Lakes Basin.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SweetSierra »

I'm not a planner, either. I like leaving things open-ended. On my solo trips, I look at the distance ahead of time but not elevation gain (usually) or loss. That's about it. I'd like to make it to where I want to go and so far, that hasn't been a problem. I like to stay at a lake if I like it or move on if I don't. I'm not even that particular about a camp site, though I like to choose a spot that has a good feel to it. Even if I have reservations, once I set up the tent, I'm in love with the spot anyway. :nod:
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

I'm a planner. Not to the level of many here however. And while many do their planning with a fine beer in hand, a good red wine is my bev of choice.

I like to have a "Plan A" itinerary. Anywhere from 3 -12 miles per day with"Plan B" options. These are based upon conditions, fishing, fun opportunities or challenges and the health/conditioning of my group. It's all about everyone in the group enjoying themselves and having the option to fish, hike, climb or to just relax in a hammock with a book after the daily miles are done.

I use Topo, Google Earth and trip reports (thanks to everyone here!). I make sure the group has hard copy topos (more than one) and have all the maps and aerial images of the area loaded onto my smartphone.

A couple of weeks before the trip I like to send out a document to my friends with maps, itinerary with photos and dates, and who to contact if we are not home on time.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Good point about involving participants in the planning process. My husband is an "anti-planner" and I have to drag him over to a map to discuss a route! We now have a rule- no participation in planning, no complaining allowed! He actually likes well planned trips, but does not like to do the planning himself. I have to talk to him in terms of hours traveled, not miles or elevation gain or his eyes glaze over. I know what he does not like, so if we have to do a mile or so over his least favorite terrain, I have to get him to buy into it. Years ago I did a 20-day trip with my then 17-year old daughter. She is a great backpacker but has one very laid-back pace. There was no way she was going to go faster! So I really had to take that into consideration. I think planning is really important when taking young children out. You had better be sure they can make it to the destination without tons of tears! I actually think you owe it to others to make it very clear what they are getting into, and it has to be specific. Good old buddies who have gone together for years can get by with more improvisation. If you are a "seat of pants" backpacker be sure those going with you buy into that method.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I second WD's consideration regarding hiking buddies. It's very important as a planner and leader to keep in consideration the limitations (mentally and physically) of each participant, especially the least experienced/fit in the group. My planning used to by very meticulous with lots of unknowns. Those were the trans-sierra days. These days, I have to also consider the amount of time I leave my wife with two unruly young teens. My trips have gone from 12 days to 4 or 5 days. In the late '90's my backpacking came to an abrupt halt due to starting a family. When I got back into it about 4 years ago, I was amazed at how different route planning has become with the internet. It's almost information overload (almost). I've gone from sitting in a beer joint with a burger and a pitcher, pouring over every detail and line of a 15' map to using it as a time waster at work pouring over Google Earth, Gmap4, GPS software (I don't know why since I don't bring my GPS with me. I use it for route planning and a learning experience with different technology), this forum and google searches for others experiences. The planning portion has always been fun for me, it's just very different these days.

I used to be a divemaster for a couple of scuba clubs, so I'm very considerate of the weakest link in the group and always seek to keep anything I'm planning relative to that link. My trips with the wife and kids are far different than the trips with my buddy of the last three years who is my Hapkido instructor in his mid 30's with five black belts and an adventurous spirit, especially for the SN. He is content to let me do all of the logistics and feeds his curiosity as I update him on my plans. My wife, although she trusts my planning and instincts, doesn't trust I can temper my ambition when it comes to the kids and their limitations. I guess that's a mother for ya! (o.k. she knows me pretty well after 23 years). She does not want to be inundated with details, but wants her concerns attended to with respect to time, mileage and elevation changes. She doesn't want me to kill the kids, I guess.

Obviously, the focus is very different for these trips. I now have two types of trips instead of one, each with unique attributes to plan around. Neither of them look like the trips I used to plan and still have rolling around in my head, so I guess I have three types. When the kids move out, I plan to re-establish some of my original trips. The first one will be a trans-sierra from Mineral King to Kern, up the Kern to Whitney and out the portal. 12 day allotment, but probably 8 or 9 days actual.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.