Your Oldest Piece Of Gear?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Your Oldest Piece Of Gear?

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

If we are allowed to include fishing gear, then my oldest piece would be my Hardy Bros. Lightweight LRH reel given to me from my grandfather. Although I am unsure of it's exact age, my research online indicates it dates from the 50's. It is one of my most prized possessions, backpacking or otherwise.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I replaced everything 4 years ago. I loved my old tent, wish I still had it. Still have my first external frame pack, the boy scouts use it mainly but it is still in use. It has to be over 20 years old it is a coleman, and I liked it!

But nothing in my pack is over 4 years old, and its all beat pretty hard. I will be doing a complete overhaul again this year with my tax return, that means ill re-do my spare kit, and give away everything else.

New pack/bag/pad/tent i hope!! Also need poncho wind jacket socks cook kit. I will be shiney hiker this summer
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

An old blanket-sided round 1gallon canteen.

Belonged to my grandfather, used it when he ran cattle in Jackson Hole 1915-1916.

I do not use it much, mostly when car camping or just driving back roads. Still in pretty good shape except for about half the blanket wrap on one side.

Brings back memories of my grandfather.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
hwy395lvrz
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by hwy395lvrz »

My 1947 nickel plated Coleman lantern.Still looks brand new.It has an amber
globe that casts a warm glow,much better than the usual stark white light.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

The oldest things I have in regular backpacking use would be my silva comapss ('74 or '75) or my Sigg aluminum pot from the early 70's that I still use occasionally on trips with multiple people. I still own a svea 123 from the 70s but never use it anymore.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

Oldest piece of gear that I carry anywhere is a pair of mittens that my friend's mom knitted for me in I think 1973. Still take them when the weather is cold. Oldest piece of camping gear is my Coleman 2-burner, which dates from the 50's or late 40's. Inherited from my folks.
Oh, and I still have the first pair of XC skis I bought, which were used rental skis when I got them in 1977.
And my Bleuet stove might actually be older than the mittens by a year or two, but I only use it as the third burner when I am car camping.
The frame (but not the shoulder straps or hipbelt or packbag) on my frame pack is a Trailwise that I bought about 1972 or 3.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Great thread. I’ve been noticing that my equipment doesn’t last as long as it used to. I used the same Kelty pack for 26 years until it finally was held together with safety pins and duct tape in 1998. My 1971 Svea stove now sits in the storage shed because it cost more to repair than replace it with a Coleman Featherlite on sale at REI. Of course, that Coleman died in a few years and had to be replaced by an Exponet. I had an Eddie Bauer bag that zipped together with my wife’s I used for 25 years. So now when I go solo, I carry an REI bag I bought on clearance and my wife and I have zip-together LL Bean bags, which they no longer make.

So at this point, my oldest piece of equipment I still carry into the backcountry is my Sierra Design Orion CD tent I bought in 1998. The mosquito netting had to be repaired on warranty when a raccoon at Coast Camp in Pt. Reyes decided to tear through it while I was watching/photographing the sunset on the beach - all that was in the tent was my sleeping bag, a wool sweater, and my notebook, but that raccoon wanted to check it out anyway. I now leave the mosquito netting unzipped at Coast Camp. The tent is still going strong, never leaking in the worst storms and withstanding gale force winds. Then to prove my Luddite tendencies, I still use a film camera, though when I got an unexpected inheritance windfall 4 years ago, I upgraded my 1960's Leica M2 to an M7 and a 35mm aspherical lens and 90mm Elmarit M.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

I still use my Kelty D4 frame pack that I bought in 1978, along with a cover for it, also of the same vintage.

The old pack generates some interesting comments on the trail :).

The water-resistent lamination of the pack fabric is peeling off - and the pack is finally showing some signs of age with some seams starting to come apart - but nothing that can't be fixed... Maybe I should send it in to Kelty for an overhaul...
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

The oldes thing I use these days is a water bladder I bought in the early 90s, I think. My lightest pocket knife is from the late 70s, but I prefer to bring the heavier new knife becuase it looks more badass :unibrow:

I still have a lot of gear from the late 70s to early 80s, and much of it is still functional, but the only way these things will see use again is if I should actually should go through with my plan to do a "retro" hike and do the Muir Trail or something similar with the kind of gear I first hiked the Sierra in 1987, right down to the 35mm film camera
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Reading the posts, I realized I completely spaced the things I take backpacking but also carry with me daily - my 1980s Swiss Army knife with the locking blade and my camera gear. My Gitzo tripod was purchased in 1997 and it's still working great and the Leica 50mm lens I bought on EBay in 2007 for $206 (the best camera equipment bargain of my life) was made in 1965 according to the serial number. It still performs flawlessly.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com