Olive Oil Container

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Olive Oil Container

Post by oldranger »

Got all my plans for next summer reasonably firm. Now gear check. Is there a light bombproof, nonleaking container for olive oil on the market? I had really bad leakage issues this past summer.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Olive Oil Container

Post by markskor »

I use a smaller nalgene bottle - 4 or 6 oz. size - REI.
Plastic water bottles just do not cut it for olive oil...learned that the hard way too.
Mountainman who swims with trout
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

In my experience keeping the thread and cap clean an preventing it from getting smashed has eliminated leakage. I could be wrong here but I dont think oil leaks out it comes from leftovers on the cap.

Anyway a few years ago I picked up a new generic plastic food grade container from the army navy store. Im extremely careful with it and i dont pour any in the cap. I have zero leakage. I wipe the threads before I put the lid on. No idea if it is a better container or just the technique. My oil in the cupboard is covered in oil not from leakage....its from using the cap to as a measuring spoon.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Just to be safe, I pack my oil bottle (the 8-oz flask from REI) upright in my pack and am careful that when it is in the bear can it remains upright. I also put it inside a plastic bag and tie the bag. I have never had oil get out all over everything. You may try finding an O-ring that fits the cap and see if that helps.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I've never had any problems with plastic bottles that have a flip style dispenser top. Just flip it up and squeeze. Make sure the bottle is not too full, or consider single serving sizes if your counting grams and calories:

http://www.minimus.biz/Marconi-Organic- ... -1100.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

smaller nalgene bottle guy myself like Mark. never had a leak, but as WD said, I do put it in a ziplock, and then right in a side pocket on my pack, upright. At night, if i've room, it goes in the can.

On my way up from sea level, that and the fuel bottles are all stored upright in an old plastic milk crate in the truck, and then I crack them open every once in a while, so as to relieve pressure.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

My last trip I used a 4 oz nalgene bottle. When I noticed that it had leaked a little I tried tightening it a little and the bottle, made of the flexible opaque stuff, shattered in my hands. I think it was close to 20 years old, though. Just a warning even nalgene has a limited lifespan.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I've been carrying the single serving size packets like the one in the link below. I put the packets in a ziplock and then put that bag in another that holds the rest of my spices. At first I was afraid that the packets might burst but I don't think there is enough air in them for that to happen. At least I've never had one leak yet.

http://www.minimus.biz/Marconi-Organic- ... -1100.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Gary

Thanks for the tip! Proves even an old dog can learn new tricks. Much better packing in the Bearicade!

Mike
Mike

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Mike

Been using these for years for my EVO, either the 4 oz or 8 oz depending on the length
of the trip. http://www.rei.com/product/402055/nalge ... le-4-fl-oz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Usually pack it inside of a freezer-zip lock bag.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org