Backpacking stoves/MSR Simmerlite

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
js hill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Backpacking stoves/MSR Simmerlite

Post by js hill »

I am in the process of purchasing a new backpacking stove. I prefer stoves that use white gas. I am leaning toward the MSR Simmerlite stove. Most reviews seem to be positive. Does anyone have any experience with this stove that they'd like to share? Thanks, js hill
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Re: Backpacking stoves/MSR Simmerlite

Post by hikin_jim »

I wrote something of a review of the Simmerlite on my blog.

I like the Simmerlite. The Simmerlite's claim to fame is that it's a lightweight stove, perhaps the lightest white gas stove currently on the market.

For the most part, it does NOT simmer. In fact the joke among backpackers is that the name should be called the SimmerNot. I have however talked to a couple of people who have a Simmerlite that will simmer. You might get lucky and get the exception, but don't go in expecting that the stove will live up to its name.

YMMV

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
js hill
Topix Acquainted

Post by js hill »

I've heard that as well. Some users of the stove say that "over pumping" is often the cause of the stove not simmering well. They recommend no more than half the number of the pumps (strokes) that MSR says to use. I'm thinking of purchasing one and if I can't get it to live up to its name, I'll return it. Thanks for your input. js hill
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

js hill wrote:I've heard that as well. Some users of the stove say that "over pumping" is often the cause of the stove not simmering well. They recommend no more than half the number of the pumps (strokes) that MSR says to use. I'm thinking of purchasing one and if I can't get it to live up to its name, I'll return it. Thanks for your input. js hill
js,

I've been using MSR stoves since 1987. I can simmer on a Whisperlite or an XGK. I've tried every trick in the book on the Simmerlite. I can't get it to simmer properly. Good luck.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
paul
Topix Expert

they got it half right

Post by paul »

It's lite allright, but Simmer? Ha! I love it for snow camping - but all I do is melt snow and boil water. It does that great. But I wouldn't get one if I wanted to actually cook anything that required temperature control. If you want a white gas stove that does that, get a Dragonfly.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

I have one as well. I found to get close to a simmer, I have to pull the wind screen off of it. That seems to bring it down a few degrees.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

I use the Simmerlite too. It's worked fine for me, no issues so far. But I'm in the camp of those who haven't had much luck getting it to simmer. As someone mentioned, pumping less does help, but then it takes longer to get to the initial boil. I usually end up just holding the cook pot up away from the flame, and then it simmers just fine :).