Resupplying in Mammoth

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
js hill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Resupplying in Mammoth

Post by js hill »

My wife and I are going to hike from South Lake to Happy Isle on the JMT this summer. When we get to Reds Meadow I was thinking of going into Mammoth Lakes to pick up a resupply package at the post office and to grab a pizza and a beer. Has anyone taken the bus from Reds Meadow into Mammoth recently? Is it worth the hassle? How on time are the busses etc? Can I send a resupply package to somewhere in Reds Meadow instead? Any info you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, js hill
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Resupplying in Mammoth

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The bus system is fairly simple as you get on it at Reds Meadow and have to pay 7 dollars for the round trip. It takes you to the top of the hill then you transfer to a bus that will take you into Mammoth then you get on the smaller busses around town. It's certainly nice to get some good food then get back onto the trail. Time frame I think is the busses run every 20 minutes or so all over. You would probably want to get a camp site at Reds Meadow then hop on a bus and then make your way back down later.

Reds Meadow does have a resupply. Info here:

http://www.redsmeadow.com/pdf/PackagePickUp.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Using the shuttle to get into Mammoth Lakes is not to much a hassle especially is pizza is a must have.

An alternate is the Red's Meadow Resort. You can ship a resupply to them and pick it up (along with beer) at the store. They also have a decent enough restaurant and you can rent a cabin or motel room if you want a bed. There is also the nearby campground and hot spring shower house.

Red's Meadow Resort is not as luxe as Mammoth Lakes, but totally serviceable and more convenient as it sits just a few hundred yards from the JMT.
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted

Post by Wild Bill »

You will be getting on the "Red Line" once you get to the ski area; it's free. Here's the town map with the stops in case you didn't already know.

http://www.mammothlakes.info/travel/shuttlemaplg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ride the bus to the Vons stop. Walk over to the northeast corner of the shopping center. Giovanni's is where you will find your destiny! :drinkers:
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

just a note...the hot spring shower house was closed last year.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

reds meadow 029.jpg
Thoughts...
While the shower house at Reds is now indeed closed, they still offer the hot tub, mere steps away. BTW, they do offer a JMT community camp down there for cheap (?$) and regular campsites are $20/night, (unless you have a golden Buckeye pass...long story.)

Reds Meadow store, while convenient to the Muir, charges outlandish prices. Last year $19.00 for a milkshake, burger, and chips (no fries). Also believe that they now charge ~$35 to accept/ just to store your resupply bucket. While not that exorbitant I guess for the convenience, you could just as easily, grab the $7/pp shuttle up (fare good for one day only, unlimited times up and back), take the free Mammoth Bus System to the big store in town, load up/restock there, grab a few beers, and save a lot of money and resupply hassles.

One more thing...There are two bus systems down at the bottom. One makes a continuous loop (free) - Agnew Meadows - Sotcher Lake - Postpile - Reds. Another bus entirely takes you from the Postpile stop, up to the Mammoth ski area. At the big ski lot, from there another free bus on top then takes you to the town of Mammoth proper... (confusing - yes, but a good/fast system too if you ask me). When below, the "up" bus only boards at one stop - the Postpile stop...If going up and you are at another stop, plan on taking the free bus loop first (board at Reds, Sotcher, Agnew, etc) to the Postpile stop to then meet the "up" bus, as they will just pass you by if waiting at other stops such as Agnew.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I had two experiences 2 years ago. First time I somehow missed each bus by minutes, busses were full at one stop so I had to wait for second, and getting to the FS visitors center from Reds Meadow took 2hrs +. Two weeks later luck was with me and I hit all connections perfectly. Less than an hour to town. To be safe, you should plan on 3-4 hours plus time in town. Also, do not make pay phone calls from Devils Postpile. I made a 1-minute call and my phone bill was charged $18. With the bus service and number of grocery stores and outdoor stores, you could also buy all food and not even deal with a supply box, although it is time consuming to do all the repacking.

Pizza? For me it would be ice cream, fresh fruit, a huge salad, cold beer, and a steak!
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted

Post by Wild Bill »

Markskor said:

"Reds Meadow store, while convenient to the Muir, charges outlandish prices. Last year $19.00 for a milkshake, burger, and chips (no fries). Also believe that they now charge ~$35 to accept/ just to store your resupply bucket."

Yes indeed, the prices in Mammoth are a little steep; they got you when you passed through. If it makes you feel any better, they get me all year long! :crybaby:

And don't get distracted by stumbling into the ski area; the prices there are very competitive with Red's Meadow!

Ride the Red Line into town!
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

The only other advice i can offer is to catch the bus at its first stop or plan to catch it early in the AM. I too have had to wait for a couple busses to pass that were full. When a shower and pizza is that close i can get impatient.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

When I was there the hot tub had it's lid closed and locked. I got water from the pipe to do laundry in.

You can always save money by doing dispersed camping. Many areas are not legal around Reds but where I set up just beyond the pack station I was told by a Ranger that is was legal.