Rock Creek? Crowley Lake area.

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Rock Creek? Crowley Lake area.

Post by frediver »

The search says Rock creek is to gen. a term.
How far in can I drive on Rock Creek Road, Google maps shows it continuing on as a 4wheel road past the large parking area. Is Mack Lake really the end of the road?
Any information on the road itself as well as the general area would be helpful,
never been there and it looks interesting on the map.

Thanks
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rock Creek? Crowley Lake area.

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Assuming you mean summer conditions you can drive to the trail head that is about 1/4 of a mile before Mack Lake. The reason Google shows it as an old 4X4 road is because it used to be a road for access to the Pine Creek Mine. The road itself has been removed back into trail at least until you are nearing Morgan Pass and then it becomes a road again.

The area is extremely beautiful and easy access. It's probably one of the most rewarding for the least amount of effort the eastern Sierra offers. This of course can lead to large crowds doing day hikes.
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Thanks for the info.
How far can you get in on the Pine Creek side?
Again G.Maps has a road indicated all the way to
Lower Morgan lake/Morgan Creek area.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Google Maps has LOTS of errors in their placement of "roads". They must have some very old data on roads- a lot of roads they show are no longer accessable. From the south there are some roads but it is a mining area and most if not all those roads are private. Not sure you are even allowed to walk up the roads. You need to get an official Forest Service map to see where the current roads exist. They are about $10 and you can buy them on the FS internet sites.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

The road from the mine is shown on a lot of maps. I was sure that it was closed but asked about it a couple years ago on the Rock Creek site and was told that it has been closed a very long time and not maintained. I didn't check it out myself but I'm sure it's closed at the mouth of the canyon near the mill.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The road that heads up to the Morgan Lakes area should be on all maps listed as a trail. I walked down it last year and it's not in very bad shape and had fresh 4X4 tracks on it. There is a small gate at the bottom that I am not sure if it's even locked. If it is you may be able to call the mine to give you access. About 100 yards beyond the gate there is a sign for the property line then it becomes public land. You would need four wheel drive in a couple sections though. You don't reach wilderness until about 1 mile before Lower Morgan Lake where the roads branches to go to the A level of the Pine Creek Mine.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Rogue,
My Garman MapSourse lists it as a road and my NG TOPO lists it as an unmaintained street.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah your right after checking Mapsource it does show it as a road. National Geographic maps also show a road. Tom harrison shows a trail. So I guess it depends on the map but looks like more show a road then trail.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I would call the Inyo NF and see if they can answer your questions in more datail or refer you to someone who really knows the status of the road. It is my impression that the access status as well as maintanence of that road/trail has changed year by year.